News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Ye Olde fr4 Cuttin' Blues

Started by playpunk, March 22, 2016, 07:13:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

playpunk

How do you guys cut this evil crap? I've destroyed one sheet trying to figure it out.... Need help!
"my legend grows" - playpunk

matmosphere

If it is similar to the material the vero board i've used then I would suggest scoring it on both sides with a very sharp knife then breaking it. I also cut it with a hack saw, but once again it takes a sharp blade.

flanagan0718

Quote from: Matmosphere on March 22, 2016, 07:18:16 AM
If it is similar to the material the vero board i've used then I would suggest scoring it on both sides with a very sharp knife then breaking it. I also cut it with a hack saw, but once again it takes a sharp blade.

Yuo. Score BOTH sides. This is very important.

pryde

Dremel carbon cutoff wheel. Then a little light sanding to clean up the edge

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

galaxiex

I use a table saw. Fine tooth carbide blade.
Fear leads to Anger, Anger leads to Hate, Hate leads to Suffering.

matmosphere

The nice thing about scoring is that there is no dust, the fist from that stuff is really bad for your lungs. Only works four straight cuts though.

blearyeyes

Do you need to wear a particular breathing protection if your using a power tool to cut the FR4?

flanagan0718

I would say a dust mask and eye protection would be ideal. I remember cutting vero in my early days in the dust was awful.

rmfroyd

Try a tin snips, I have had good luck with those.  No dust.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

galaxiex

Quote from: blearyeyes on March 22, 2016, 12:36:50 PM
Do you need to wear a particular breathing protection if your using a power tool to cut the FR4?

Yeah, sorry, I should have mentioned that I have a vacuum dust collection system. Tho I still wear a mask and eye protection.

A particulate mask at very least, or better yet, a respirator type mask N95 or better.
Fear leads to Anger, Anger leads to Hate, Hate leads to Suffering.