News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Aquaboy BL3208

Started by gül, March 27, 2016, 07:36:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gül

I built the BL3208 version of the Aquaboy. It works, but it isn't really biasing nicely. It could totally be the chips I bought off eBay (Definitely not coming from a trusted source, hahaha). I also ended up using the B version of the BL3208s, so I made little daughterboards for 'em. The clock chip is from Small Bear, it works perfectly. All components were tested beforehand.

I'll mess with it some more at another sitting. When my new multimeter arrives, I'll get the voltages written down. Maybe with some tweaking and reliable chips this will turn out to be box-worthy.  :)

Scruffie

...did you add legs to an SMD NE571?  :o  :D
Works at Lectric-FX

gül

Quote from: Scruffie on March 28, 2016, 06:01:57 AM
...did you add legs to an SMD NE571?  :o  :D

Hahahaha, I was wondering if anyone would notice that! I took on this project to challenge myself, and yep... It was a great challenge. Believe it or not, that part was pretty easy. The wee legs on that chip took solder very, very easily so it wasn't too bad. Making the little perf daughter boards for the crap BL3208 chips was way worse!

Speaking of, if anyone knows where I could get some legit chips for this (preferably the A version) I would be grateful to know. I'd like to actually be able to use this build.

Scruffie

I don't know where to get BL3208A anymore other than ebay but you could try the v3208D, I know some people had issues with the v3205 batch but that doesn't mean the 3208 had an issue.
Works at Lectric-FX

gül

That's a good idea, Scruffie. I'll look into those. I might also be able to get some actual MN3208s from a friend, fingers crossed.

gül

I got some genuine MN3208 and MN3102 chips and popped 'em in. I'm still getting the overly distorted sound, even with proper biasing. I checked the chips first in another working circuit to make sure they were working first (even though I got them from a trusted source). I'll probably probe it and see if I can isolate where it's distorting sometime over the next week or two, maybe I'll find the problem.

I learned a lot from this build, as I always do with these Madbean layouts. Thanks again for the layout, Brian. ;)