News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Double Flush Buzzing

Started by insomniac2295, July 14, 2011, 08:27:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gtr2

Also, on your switch double check that there is not a random strand of wire touching where it shouldn't. One rogue strand can wreak havoc.

Josh
1776 EFFECTS STORE     
Contract PCB designer

bigmufffuzzwizz

When your testing the switch for continuity you also wanna check the meter to make sure your getting a low resistance reading. I've changed a malfunctioning 3PDT before that all the lugs made continuity. The problem lug would take about 10 seconds to get a reading and the resistance was jumping all over the place.
Owner and operator of Magic Pedals

insomniac2295

Just tested, retested, and tested again all of the lugs on the 3PDT switch. Everything came out reading normally for all lugs. Any other ideas?

nzCdog

I see you put in an IC backwards... perhaps it has blown, putting volts down the wrong pin?

insomniac2295

Quote from: nzCdog on July 18, 2011, 10:36:01 PM
I see you put in an IC backwards... perhaps it has blown, putting volts down the wrong pin?

I didn't put an IC in backwards. I put an IC socket in backwards, but not the actual IC.

nzCdog

Quote from: insomniac2295 on July 17, 2011, 10:46:42 PM
I still get sound when the effect is bypassed, but nothing when it's on, not even with an audio probe at the beginning of the circuit!

Have you got your in/out plugged/wired to the in to the wrong jacks?
I've done it myself, bypass works fine but dead when effect on

insomniac2295

Wait, am I supposed to connect the In & Ground terminals on the board? i notice on the PDF there is a questionable dot where the two protruding wires cross.

bigmufffuzzwizz

I see what your saying about the dot, but my guess is too ground the input would leave you with nothing.
Owner and operator of Magic Pedals

gtr2

Quote from: insomniac2295 on July 20, 2011, 05:18:17 AM
Wait, am I supposed to connect the In & Ground terminals on the board? i notice on the PDF there is a questionable dot where the two protruding wires cross.

These should definitely not be connected.

You may have done this but follow with the audio probe from the input jack on....  and let us know where your loosing signal.

Josh
1776 EFFECTS STORE     
Contract PCB designer

jimmybjj

Quote from: insomniac2295 on July 17, 2011, 10:46:42 PM

I still get sound when the effect is bypassed, but nothing when it's on, not even with an audio probe at the beginning of the circuit!

If your using a probe and not getting signal at the beginning of the circuit, then I would suspect you have a ground issue and Josh said previously. Does your meter have a continuity tester? If so check and see between the sleeve and tip oF the input jack. If not measure the resistance between the two.
Pcbs no longer available

insomniac2295

I do have a meter that can test continuity. If it's a grounding issue, where should I start looking?

k.rock!

Quote from: insomniac2295 on July 20, 2011, 03:43:29 PM
I do have a meter that can test continuity. If it's a grounding issue, where should I start looking?

I would have a copy of the schematic printed out. Take one lead and insert it into one of the enclosure screw holes to make it easier for you. This would be your ground (assuming you're using metal jacks that are being grounded through the enclosure) If you're not, then hold your lead against a ground point (in the board, switch or main power jack).

With the other lead test each side of each component for continuity. If you hear a beep, it's grounded. Take a look at the schematic and confirm it should be grounded. If it is, keep going. If not, you found an issue area. Most times, when you find a trace grounded it could be related to a component in that trace, and not necessarily the one you just found grounded. So take a look at that area and make sure you have properly soldered joints, correct values, correct polarities, etc.

-Kaleb
God bless!
www.kalebromero.com

gtr2

Also make sure that things that shouldn't be grounded are not.

Take your time...  sometimes walking away from a troubled build is the best option.  Come back when you have a fresh mind and spirit.  :)

Josh
1776 EFFECTS STORE     
Contract PCB designer