News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Inexpensive digital camera recommendations

Started by stringsthings, April 10, 2016, 06:09:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

stringsthings

I think I need a camera so I can take pics of builds and such  :)

Any recommendations?  Are the $25 cheap ones any good or should I avoid?  I really just need a basic camera.  Something to take pics of things and upload to the net.  It won't get much use if any outside of the home.
All You Need Is Love

davent

You may already have all you need. How's your phone? I never plan to get a cell but i did get an ipod at Christmas just for the camera/app capabilities. Two thousand pictures later i'm totally sold on this toy phone-camera, i'm having a blast with this thing, couldn't be more pleased.

Today...

Older

dave
"If you always do what you always did- you always get what you always got." - Unknown

If my photos are missing again... they're hosted by photobucket... and as of 06/2017 being held hostage... to be continued?

tone seeker

Cannon Powershot camera's have been good for me. Very user friendly, and versitle. But cellphone camera's have greatly improved!

matmosphere

I'm with Davent, if you have a cellphone with a camera that is 5 megapixel or above then it should be just fine. If you don't have a camera phone then take a look at Canon, Fuji, or Sony (and to a lesser degree nikon and olympus) you should be able to find something in the 80-100$ range if you don't need anything to fancy.

As far as those $25 cheap digital cameras I would say don't waste your money, they aren't worth it. The images are usually so poor quality that they just aren't going to be worth posting online. 

Jebus

Not a camera recommendation, but something to consider. If you are going to take pictures of pedals and such stuff a tripod is a really big improvement. That way you don't have to use flash and you get much sharper images. With small digital camera I would recommend one of those cheap GorillaPod -knock offs. :)

dbp512

I completely agree with getting a tripod. The gorillapod is nice, but I never liked its ball and socket leg design since it sags with heavier cameras (which bothers me since I often use old, heavy lenses). I recently picked up a pedro ultra pod, and its fantastic. Much better design (imho) for about the same price as a decent gorillapod. 

As for cameras, I can't help much because the newest camera I have is from 2010. Since its just for photos pretty much anything will do, even the little point and shoots with built in lenses are capable of taking great pictures. 5 megapixels is enough to make a decent size print, and plenty to upload online. More megapixels is essential only if you're cropping the image significantly afterwards and still trying to make large prints. If you don't need to shoot videos than you can pick whatever you want. Perhaps an optical viewfinder to see in bright sunlight, or a large zoom length cause they're nice. Nikon and Canon are the two ubiquitous names, but I personally shoot Sony. Pentax, Samsung, and others all have very nice models as well. No company has any huge advantage over any other, so don't buy into the tons of hype.
"you truly are a transistor tickler, what with the application of germanium ointment to sensitive fuzzy areas. :)" - playpunk

davent

I've got one of those Gorilla tripods but have also picked up these two to use with the ipod, more for nighttime outdoor shooting. Haven't used them inside except for the times i've played with slow shutter effects.

http://www.mec.ca/product/4001-622/pedco-ultrapod-ii-large-tripod/?f=10+50336

http://www.mec.ca/product/5035-379/joby-griptight-micro-stand/?h=10+50023+51334+50336&f=10+50336

First thing i did with this camera, any camera was make sure the flash was OFF. Never, never use, useless and pointless.

dave
"If you always do what you always did- you always get what you always got." - Unknown

If my photos are missing again... they're hosted by photobucket... and as of 06/2017 being held hostage... to be continued?

flanagan0718

I use my Iphone 4s for most pictures. I also sometimes use an Olympus Stylus Tough for videos and pictures...like this one

I like it because it reminds me of a snare drum  ;)

Jebus

Quote from: davent on April 12, 2016, 02:27:58 PM
First thing i did with this camera, any camera was make sure the flash was OFF. Never, never use, useless and pointless.

Yeah, the built-in flashes are usually awful. If you can manually adjust the amount of flash then those can be useful sometimes. :P

alanp

My camera absolutely needs the flash... either that, or a tripod, or blinding summer midday light.
"A man is not dead while his name is still spoken."
- Terry Pratchett
My OSHpark shared projects
My website

mcasemo

i bought adobe lightroom and find myself using my iphone more for pics (more so of my kids rather than pedals) rather than the DSLR.  Free software probably can do most of the adjustments, but the Lightroom interface and controls seemed to make me do better post processing them.  Just a thought if you skip buying the camera.

Another thought is to instead spend some money getting more light for your pics.  maybe those umbrella light diffuser things. 

It's all about the light, but i still lazily take pedal photos at midnight under my LED lamp, half drunk.

davent

For lighting i usually turn off the  room lights and use a desk lamp with it's 23w cfl bulb. Often times sticking into the picture.

ipod handheld, 1/30s exposure, Pro Camera & snapseed apps and a clip/slip on lens

dave

jball85

Canon PowerShot ELPH series. Look to spend $75-100, it's worth it, otherwise I would just stick to a smart phone camera.

E. Tejas Dung Beetle, the size of a penny, using my Canon PowerShot.

selfdestroyer

Quote from: jball85 on April 15, 2016, 03:39:40 PM
Canon PowerShot ELPH series. Look to spend $75-100, it's worth it, otherwise I would just stick to a smart phone camera.

E. Tejas Dung Beetle, the size of a penny, using my Canon PowerShot.

Nice DOF on that shot. Very cool.

Cody