News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Quick noob question (Krankosaurus)

Started by Willybomb, July 17, 2011, 01:10:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Willybomb

Gudday all.  I'm getting psyched up for my first couple of pedal builds (I've modded a few, but never done one from scratch) and just want to check a few things.

Just having a look at the wiring diagram from the Kranksaurus (thanks for the pcb Haberdasher), and I'm trying to work out if it's possible to run the boost before the dirt section.

I see the In_B/Out_B and the In_D/OutD links, so is it just a matter of having the boost switch (the one hooked up to In_B/Out_B) first in the signal path from the input jack (J2), or am I reading this wrong?

Would it be possible to have a switch in there somewhere to change the dirt/boost signal path, and if so, how/what would I need to do that?

FWIW, here's my planned artwork because, hey, I'm proud of it (I know I haven't marked the leds out yet, still deciding where to put them):

Thanks in advance,
Willy.

nzCdog

Your pedal art is fully awesome!

I've built this circuit and love it... great thick sounding pedal, awesome in a live setting.  In my opinion the stock setup is best for the Krankosaurus, the distortion circuit doesn't have much headroom, so boosting into it tends to sound a bit 'meh'.  The exception to that is using a Treble booster like a rangemaster which sounds awesome for lead guitar. 
The other 'against' for putting the SHO side before the distorion side is that the SHO tends to sound quite noisy into a distortion: you get quite a big hiss going on.  So IMO, go with stock, this circuit is really worth the effort!  8)

gtr2

1776 EFFECTS STORE     
Contract PCB designer

nzCdog

Willybomb

Well, I've finally finished the pcb and general wiring, and tested it out.  Took a bit to find the two linked traces, took longer to work out how to wire the DC jack properly.  Before I nutted all this out only the boost section was working (great boost, btw), but now... I have a proper Krankosaurus, I think.

Anyway, seems like it definitely needs the C1 mod and I think there's still something wrong in that it seems a bit more like a fuzz or transistory cheap 10watt amp OD...

nzCdog

Quote from: Willybomb on July 30, 2011, 02:59:09 PM
Well, I've finally finished the pcb and general wiring, and tested it out.  Took a bit to find the two linked traces, took longer to work out how to wire the DC jack properly.  Before I nutted all this out only the boost section was working (great boost, btw), but now... I have a proper Krankosaurus, I think.

Anyway, seems like it definitely needs the C1 mod and I think there's still something wrong in that it seems a bit more like a fuzz or transistory cheap 10watt amp OD...

woohoo!  good luck tweaking it to your tastes :)

Willybomb

Yeah, thanks.  As a straight OD I wasn't super impressed with the single note sound (but a comparo found it was similar to my other OD so that was just me), so I swapped the order so the boost went into the dirt (one for, one against as far as I could find on the forum) and I like it much better when soloing.

The boost on it's own is great, clean and loud.  Nice dirt sound normally, but it's better with the/a boost for soloing.  Just have to get some resistors for the LEDs and a new C! and I'll be set.  I was tossing up between this and a boneyard.  Maybe I'll do that after I've got this and the Little Angel I have waiting done.

Thanks to everyone for the help.