News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Waterslide Decals and Enclosure Art

Started by Jamiroking, June 26, 2010, 03:16:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jamiroking

Hey guys.

Ok so I just finished building my Krankosaurus and Zombii and am on to the enclosures. I ordered some blem enclosures from Pedal Parts Plus which was great since they cost the same as their unfinished ($5.70ish). I also bought a sheet of water slide decal after seeing crashguitar's excellent results in the build reports.
http://www.madbeanpedals.com/forum/index.php?topic=103.0

Unfortunately I ended up with 3 red enclosures since they pick your color for you and I just realized that this will be a problem for color graphics if the decals are clear since last time I checked, my printer doesnt print white. If anyone has ordered this before, is the decal white or clear?

Also, If anyone has any ideas how to get my design I've attached below, I'd be happy to hear it.

Thanks

[attachment deleted by admin]

gmr1

They make both clear and white waterslide decal sheets. I find the MicroMark brand to be the best.

If you did the design on a white sheet, and matched the red closely to the enclosure color, it would work out nicely.

I'd make the marks for the knobs on the artwork smaller, just an indicator to where the center of the hole will be - that way if your drilling is slightly off, you wont have the black area showing anywhere around the knob.

Jamiroking

Thanks a lot,
Yeah I have it in photo shop so I can turn off the knobs and just have little Xs for the drilling template so its all in one. Do you have any special way of trying to match the pedal's color? Otherwise the gradient could possibly be pretty tricky/lame looking. Also, if anyone has ordered this stuff from pedalpartsplus before, I'd love to know whether its the clear or white background before I start using it. I wrote them an email but no response yet...

UPDATE: In case anyone is buying the decals, I just got word back from Pedal Parts Plus and their decal stock is clear-backed not white

crashguitar

I am still pretty new to this, but I have been thinking of trying something to get white.
Print out the artwork and cut out the portions that are to be white. Use this as a stencil to paint the enclosure white. Then print the artwork on a c;ear water slide decal sheet. Place the decal over the white. There should be plenty of time to slide the decal around to match it with the white.
This is purely hypothetical at this point, but it might be worth trying. Thought I would share the idea if anyone else wanted to attempt this before I get to it.

Jamiroking

I was toying with the idea of painting the white on like crashguitar said but one thing to keep in mind if anyone tries it is you will probably want to paint a white backing for the whole image because even if a section of the decal is colored, the color will be diminished by the colored paintjob behind it.