News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Seeking "Slump" Buster

Started by davent, April 19, 2016, 03:07:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

davent

Hi All,

As mentioned in the "Slump" thread i haven't completed a pedal in a year. A year ago i did chop the top off a 1590b and glue back together as a wedge. Drilled for two pots, top mount jacks, painted and labelled for a project i lost interest in...

The labeling is cryptic enough it doesn't matter what goes in as the paint job is staying. My mixologist did me up a bottle of 'Cody Green Shag' acrylic so it's got the mojo in spades.

Looking for something to build and pop in this box, get me moving again.

Criteria
1. Two pots
2. Needs to fit in a 1590b
3. No interest in OD/distortion
4. Only mod effects i have are the EA trem and a TriVibe, so happy to expand on that
5. Outrageous fuzz and noise is another area of interest
6. Will diy a board, have lots of vero and photoresist on hand (and breadboards)
7. No weird/esoteric bits i'm not likely to have on hand, i've stalled long enough to finish the pedal and waiting for parts would compound exponentially the time i'd spend getting up off the floor.

Thanks so much for your ideas and direction guys!
dave

"If you always do what you always did- you always get what you always got." - Unknown

If my photos are missing again... they're hosted by photobucket... and as of 06/2017 being held hostage... to be continued?

juansolo

JMK does an Ibanez Standard Fuzz clone... Would need to drill a toggle switch hole. Marvellous completely out of control velcro fuzz thing.

A Spitfire would be another good two knob fuzz (grind do a board for that - Pit Fighter).

You could etch the Baja layout for a Small Clone, that'll go into a 1590B.

Gnomepage - DIY effects library & stuff in the Stompage bit
"I excite very large doom for days" - playpunk

chuckbuick

I can't help with ideas but that box came out nice.  Well done.

davent

Hi John and thanks!

JMK's Standard was the first (i've only done two) commercial pcb i completed, and it's a fun one to play with.

Will have a look for Baja's Small Clone.

"If you always do what you always did- you always get what you always got." - Unknown

If my photos are missing again... they're hosted by photobucket... and as of 06/2017 being held hostage... to be continued?

Willybomb

There's a 1590a friendly Little Angel etch layout around somewhere. I put that in a 1590b!

jimilee

I like some delays and phasery goodness of course.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.

solderfumes

Phase 45 maybe?  You could put in a depth knob with your second knob.

marmora

Nice job with the enclosure!

Two knob noise makers that I think are worth investigating are:
Noise Ensemble
Tim E's PWM
Crash Sync (needs a volume control, so there's your 2 knobs)

Here's to your return and a fun build!

flanagan0718

What about a chorus? I personally love the Zombie Chorus. You could leave the "clone" switch off. I've used Sabrotone's layout a couple times and it fired right up with no ticking. here is a link.

http://www.sabrotone.com/?attachment_id=3129

Stomptown

I've got a bunch of Harmonic Percolator PCBs laying around.  If that interests you let me know and I can send one your way as a PIF.

Edit: I've got the esoteric bits (transistors) to send your way as well. Also, it's designed with a PCB mount clipping switch but you could easily bypass that.  :)

Jon

samhay

raulduke

I'd build a Madbean Fatpants.

One of those 'always on' pedals.

davent

Thanks all for the suggestions i do have bits for a number of those but Jon (Stomptown)...

Quote from: Stomptown on April 19, 2016, 07:50:14 PM
I've got a bunch of Harmonic Percolator PCBs laying around.  If that interests you let me know and I can send one your way as a PIF.

Edit: I've got the esoteric bits (transistors) to send your way as well. Also, it's designed with a PCB mount clipping switch but you could easily bypass that.  :)

Jon

I'd love to take you up on your offer, extremely generous of you, thank you!

dave

culturejam

You said no OD/Distortion...

But what about a really mojo'd-up germanium Fuzz Face? Or maybe a germanium Rangemaster with the second pot being a rotary switch for input cap values?

Those are both low parts count and there are plenty of Ge trannies floating about.

Or, just do silicon versions of either. They still sound awesome. Different, but still awesome.
Partner and Product Developer at Function f(x).
My Personal Site with Effects Projects

davent

Quote from: culturejam on April 20, 2016, 07:17:18 PM
You said no OD/Distortion...

But what about a really mojo'd-up germanium Fuzz Face? Or maybe a germanium Rangemaster with the second pot being a rotary switch for input cap values?

Those are both low parts count and there are plenty of Ge trannies floating about.

Or, just do silicon versions of either. They still sound awesome. Different, but still awesome.

Fuzz's and booster's are good to go, it was a Rangemaster that the enclosure was painted for, another iteration for the collection and i lost interest after breadboarding and messing about for too long, just not getting on with project, decision paralysis, all too easy to get sidetracked.

dave