News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

What are you playing? (games)

Started by jtn191, April 22, 2016, 07:48:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

juansolo

Quote from: chromesphere on January 23, 2017, 09:48:32 PM
Thankfully my wife doesnt build pedals and visit this forum...

So yeah, I've gone a little bit nuts lately accumulating NES and SNES games. It would have been a lot cheaper if i had of got onto it sooner. Nostalgia gets me every time.  This is probably half of the games I've ordered lately.  UN Squadron and Zelda were expensive :( Im mainly collecting the games i had when i was young, not trying to be a completionist and buy every game available...for some reason my favourite games, and the ones i had when i was young are rare (zelda-link to the past, un squadron, castlevania...turtles in time...TURTLES IN TIME...)

Anyway, I was thinking of getting a second NES and modding it, stereo output with the RBG video output mod....

Seriously, what the hell has happened to me?

I'm saying nothing...

Quote from: juansolo on January 29, 2017, 04:51:43 AM
Yeah I know a lot about the foibles of old kit.  A perfect example is the ST that was discovered in a neighbour's loft. It lasted about 2 hrs before it died. Though it was the PSU (common problem, it runs way hot) so re-capped that. Nope, mainboard is toast :(

Still I have a lot of parts now. Got another mate grabbing his down from his loft and will take it from there.

Also due to have a Commodore 64 and a 48K Spectrum land next week... that should be interesting!

Yeah bit of an update there... PSU actually was the cause of all of the problems with the STFM... In the meantime I also got given an STE. Short version, dropped the STE PSU into the STFM and it was marvellous, so stuck another 512k into that, made it spanky and flogged it. Spending the money on an A1200... Which I've utterly gone to town on. The STE I also have to a degree, but haven't decided the future of that one yet (details here).

The C64 was a bit yellow, but otherwise working ok. Swapped some caps in the PSU just to be sure though. That's what I started the Retrobrite process on.

The Spectrum I went mad with.

If you're wondering why I haven't made many pedals of late... I really must get around to doing a write up on the A1200 as that's been on an interesting journey. Currently waiting for a wireless PCMCIA card to land so I can get it onto the internet. Which is not as mad as it sounds as there are about 3 sites that are good for getting Amiga software from (aminet being the biggy) and it'd be nice to get it direct. But yeah, it ain't gonna be replacing my mac as a web browser that's for sure!
Gnomepage - DIY effects library & stuff in the Stompage bit
"I excite very large doom for days" - playpunk

alanp

Eeeewwww.

John, I hate to tell you this, but...

You seem to have a couple of Power Macs under your desk.

I mean, a collection of Nintendo consoles are kinda okay (if edging on Zelda-Mario-Weeaboo, to my Sega-influenced brain), but a Mac?

;) ;) :P :P
"A man is not dead while his name is still spoken."
- Terry Pratchett
My OSHpark shared projects
My website

juansolo

I've pretty much done it all computer-wise. Had my stint putting together PCs when it was 50+ jumpers to set on a motherboard and multiple memory configs to get things to run in DOS. I still do PCs but as partitions on the mac. The machine on the left is a very specific vintage of Mac Pro that can (and does) run Snow Leopard, Mavericks, WinXP and Win7. It'll actually run Sierra, but I don't see the point in doing so currently. It's also got El Capitan on there, but I never use it. It just saves a lot of space and can run a lot of the older stuff, which I'm more interested in. The machine on the right is a PowerMac G5 which covers most of the old Mac software. I'm still searching for a minty PowerMac G4 Digital Audio (733mhz if poss). That'll be the next computer that'll be running OS9. If I went all the way back I'd like an Apple IIGS, but they're silly money now, and it'd just be a novelty really if I did.

I'm a UNIX guy at heart so I know more of what I'm doing on Macs than I do PCs. I get a bit lost on those these days as I've been out of it for so long. That said I stopped at Macs in 2008 because everything since has been, well, a bit shit.

peAk

Quote from: alanp on May 04, 2017, 10:16:11 PM
Eeeewwww.

John, I hate to tell you this, but...

You seem to have a couple of Power Macs under your desk.

I mean, a collection of Nintendo consoles are kinda okay (if edging on Zelda-Mario-Weeaboo, to my Sega-influenced brain), but a Mac?

;) ;) :P :P

Hahaha.....I approve this. Just say no to Mac.  :P

stringsthings

For the past several weeks, I've been playing the Long War 2 mod/version of Xcom 2. 
It's really more of a total overhaul of the game than a mod.  Very well done and super challenging.
I really enjoyed the original Xcom game back in the day and I loved Xcom: Enemy Unknown.

If you've played the vanilla version of Xcom 2, I can recommend LW2.  It's got a steep learning curve,
but it really adds a lot of new things to the game.
All You Need Is Love

midwayfair

A couple months ago I played through an obscure 90s adventure game called Toon Struck. Gig has it for a couple bucks. The gameplay' pretty typical, but it's hilarious and the voice cast is insane (it stars Christopher Lloyd and the supporting cast is basically every big name cartoon voice actor from the 90s).

raulduke

I've been having a game here and there on Fifa 17 since it came out.

Liverpool in my career mode have just done the magic treble; League, FA cup and Champions League.

They also now have Neymar, Dybala and Hazard up front.

The way it should be in real life... one can dream  ;D

Next step is getting the mighty Doncaster Rovers* (my local team) into a similar position.

*They are one of the top, top, English clubs if anyone is wondering who they are....  ;D

juansolo

Well, for the Mac fans above, I've just bought a PowerMac G4 for £10 that I'll be picking up tomorrow ;)

You love it.

alanp

I'm sure there's a reason why so cheap :P
"A man is not dead while his name is still spoken."
- Terry Pratchett
My OSHpark shared projects
My website

storyboardist

I started Stardew Valley last night...
Guy behind Effects Layouts

selfdestroyer

Quote from: storyboardist on May 05, 2017, 11:26:15 AM
I started Stardew Valley last night...

I put about 6 hours in on the PC ver.. but quit when I heard it's coming to the Nintendo switch. I rather have it portable. I tried running it on my GPX Win but it was kind of a PITA on the controls.

Its a great game. A little more "grown up" from Animal Crossing.

Cody

juansolo

culturejam

It's not exactly new, but I just started playing "Papers, Please". It looks like a Commodore 64 game sort of. You play a customs/border agent in a fictional Eastern European country, and you have to check people's passports, visas, etc, and decide whether or not to let them cross the border. It's awesome!

Partner and Product Developer at Function f(x).
My Personal Site with Effects Projects

juansolo

Especially for Alan... ;)

Willybomb

I've been getting into the remastered Lucasarts adventures, mainly for the commentaries as I played a lot of them *years* ago...