News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

What are you playing? (games)

Started by jtn191, April 22, 2016, 07:48:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

alanp

Dark Souls 3 was on sale on Steam, so I got a copy.

While it took ages to load, to my great surprise it actually RUNS on my ancient PC.

However...

It ***SCREAMS*** console port. And a very badly done one, laden down with A, B, RT, LT, and lots of other console-isms. I was instructed to press 'R' at one point to mess with the camera.

My character drank a potion.

Most games, you can press escape to get out of sub-menus. In DS3, pressing escape does nothing except indicate your frustration to the little magic gnomes who laze about in the CPU and haul out crystal-wolf-dragon things when needed.

When my character was ambling up to the crystal-wolf-dragon-thing, I found some text messages. Going through the Keybindings submenu, I discovered something.

When DS3 tells me to press 'A', I should not press 'A'. I should press 'E'.

When DS3 tells me to press 'B', I should not press 'B'. I should press 'Q'.

Only the little baby Jesus knows what all the keys for riposte, parry, and the rest are supposed to be. I worked out that Ctrl is light attack, LMB is heavy attack, and RMB is block. The game feels clunky, not smooth, but I chalk this up to my ancient potato of a computer. 4GB of RAM and a Core 2 Duo is not a recipe for happy little magic gnomes.

Got my ass kicked by a crystal-wolf-dragon thing (yes, the text message told me not to go that way), and got fed up with the world's laziest console port. Bah.
"A man is not dead while his name is still spoken."
- Terry Pratchett
My OSHpark shared projects
My website

Willybomb

Playing the remastered Planescape Torment currently.

chromesphere

Uploaded this video to my other "random stuff" channel.  Just me talking about some of my Wii collecting "bargains" and a few tips for others new to it all. 

Check it out let me know your thoughts!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A4gTMSB_l9w&t=7s

Pedal Parts Shop              Youtube

gtr2

Haven't played much for years but I've been hooked on Zelda BOTW on the wiiU.
1776 EFFECTS STORE     
Contract PCB designer

Andlord

I think I'm gonna play Bloodborne tonight and hopefully kill that last optional boss form the dlc I haven't killed jet. Really hyped about the Dark Souls Remaster announcement, so i have that wierd craving for some soulsboren. I love it <3

juansolo

Quote from: chromesphere on January 13, 2018, 03:08:50 AM
Unloaded this video to my other "random stuff" channel.  Just me talking about some of my Wii collecting "bargains" and a few tips for others new to it all.  Check it out let me know your thoughts!

Watching your Wii thing now. I'm only missing odd things I want on Wii and bizarrely not really the rare stuff (thankfully picked most of that up before the prices started to rise). It was one of the pleasant side effects of the Wii U though, as I'd never had a Wii thinking it was all Just Dance and Wii Play bollocks. There's some really seriously awesome stuff on there.

Though I haven't got Fire Emblem, that's insane money here now sadly.

Quote from: gtr2 on January 13, 2018, 09:16:39 AM
Haven't played much for years but I've been hooked on Zelda BOTW on the wiiU.

Still haven't got around to that yet. Picked it up, but was too wrapped up in Horizon at the time to really get into it. Must revisit it.

Latest thing I've played and completed was Hellblade. Short, but perfectly formed. Very nice game that.

Personally I'm in the midst of building an old gaming PC. I've managed to get so far without doing it, but there comes a point when you need a PII and Voodoo 3 combo going into an CRT to capture, IMO, the golden age of PC gaming (well the age that I was massively into it). So a friend is donating a machine, I've picked up a 400mhz processor for £6.50 and the big spend has gone on the Voodoo 3 at £40. I should hopefully have that all together in a few weeks. DOS and Win98SE most likely. I'm weirdly looking forward to it. I know the PC needs a bit of love, but it's a worker.

Oh yeah and I wrote some words about my consoles and computers. Now the pictures are shite. I will do some proper ones at some point, but all my kit is wired in and I just CBA to dig it all out to photograph it. As it is, I've got precious little space as it is, so I don't have a massive collection, but they are mostly modded.

http://juansolo.co.uk/geekery/consolecollection.html

http://juansolo.co.uk/geekery/computercollection.html
Gnomepage - DIY effects library & stuff in the Stompage bit
"I excite very large doom for days" - playpunk

Andlord

Quote from: Andlord on January 13, 2018, 09:25:00 AM
I think I'm gonna play Bloodborne tonight and hopefully kill that last optional boss form the dlc I haven't killed jet. Really hyped about the Dark Souls Remaster announcement, so i have that wierd craving for some soulsboren. I love it <3

YEAH...finally beat that bastard :D 100% of the dlc achieved!!!
Time to buy Dark Souls 3

mjg

I got talked into buying a Switch for xmas.  Have been an anti-console person up to now. 

The Switch is fun.  Controllers are a bit small in the sideways mode for longer sessions.  They are fine connected into some sort of holder though. 

Enjoying Rocket League, Mario Kart, the kid is in love with Zelda, and the Snipper Clips game is hilarious fun.  And my partner is very excited that Donkey Kong Country is coming out on Switch in a few months. 

alanp

Quote from: Andlord on January 13, 2018, 12:52:09 PM
Time to buy Dark Souls 3

I did some googling, and found a process to fix the lazy-port-fuckups with DS3 on the steam forums. Now I just need to get around to installing the half-dozen mods and patches it lists.
"A man is not dead while his name is still spoken."
- Terry Pratchett
My OSHpark shared projects
My website

Andlord

Quote from: alanp on January 13, 2018, 01:40:03 PM
Quote from: Andlord on January 13, 2018, 12:52:09 PM
Time to buy Dark Souls 3

I did some googling, and found a process to fix the lazy-port-fuckups with DS3 on the steam forums. Now I just need to get around to installing the half-dozen mods and patches it lists.

That is one of the reasons I quit gaming on PC (that and the fact that I do not own a PC capable of more than Age of Emieres 3).
How do you like the game so far?

Willybomb

Currently playing the GOG edition of Planescape:  Torment.  Interesting game.

somnif

I picked up Rimworld the other day and have been playing with it. Its very much akin to things like "Dwarf Fortress", managing a community with absolutely ludicrous amounts  of adjustable variables. Only in this case with Prison Architect-esque graphics rather than ascii art. Its a lot of fun, if society management is your sort of thing.

But, it so far still has a very rough "early access" sort of feel. There are hundreds of adjustable and monitorable things to keep track of, but only 2 or 3 viable crops to grow, for example. I'm sure it will shape up and fill out a bit over time, and I look forward to it, but for now its really more fascinating than engaging.

fair.child

You guys should play : Getting Over It by Bennet Foddy.

A game about starting over. Must be good for pedal failures and starting over everything again.

juansolo

Never heard of that, that's borderline evil.
Gnomepage - DIY effects library & stuff in the Stompage bit
"I excite very large doom for days" - playpunk

somnif

Yeah Getting Over It was made by the same dude behind QWOP. The guy loves odd, frustrating, infuriating control schemes.