News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

What are you playing? (games)

Started by jtn191, April 22, 2016, 07:48:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

selfdestroyer

Dead Cells!

Ever since it came out of early access on PC I have been playing it. I also picked it up on Nintendo Switch and get some time with it at lunch at work. Great game!

oip

Quote from: stringsthings on August 24, 2018, 02:51:24 AM

excerpt from a review of "Turtle Bridge" that I found on the interwebz:

"... Sound is the customary beeps and tones that featured with Game and Watch titles, but with the games having less processing power than a pocket calculator, the playability and "one more go" factor that this game offers cannot be ignored.  And even now, with the likes of the DS and PSP on offer, these games still offer hours of fun... "

now i really want to play it!  i might look for an emulation or something

i also remember the 2 screen game and watch versions having an extra 'woah' factor

stringsthings

Quote from: oip on August 25, 2018, 06:50:18 AM
Quote from: stringsthings on August 24, 2018, 02:51:24 AM

excerpt from a review of "Turtle Bridge" that I found on the interwebz:

"... Sound is the customary beeps and tones that featured with Game and Watch titles, but with the games having less processing power than a pocket calculator, the playability and "one more go" factor that this game offers cannot be ignored.  And even now, with the likes of the DS and PSP on offer, these games still offer hours of fun... "

now i really want to play it!  i might look for an emulation or something

i also remember the 2 screen game and watch versions having an extra 'woah' factor

If I had a lot of time on my hand, I'd code up a version 2.   ( lots and lots and lots of time )
All You Need Is Love

Yahoo67

Well i just got Dragon quest xi so.... goodbye workbench for the next 2 months i guess ^^ i could use the break! Got on a roll of faulty builds this past month and i aint in the mood to debbug them xD .

stringsthings

Quote from: Yahoo67 on September 04, 2018, 12:57:49 PM
Got on a roll of faulty builds this past month and i aint in the mood to debbug them xD .

me 3
All You Need Is Love

alanp

Spent nearly all weekend re-playing Elixir Studio's _Evil Genius_. Strongly, strongly recommended. It's on Steam.

One of the "tortures" perpetrated upon agents of justice, is the minion performing the Moonwalk in front of them, complete with "Hee-Hee" noises.
"A man is not dead while his name is still spoken."
- Terry Pratchett
My OSHpark shared projects
My website

Willybomb

Evil Genius is great.  Dedicating whole sections of the island to a deathtrap corridor, with a fridgeroom at the end to keep the corpses in...

somnif

I picked up an Xbox 360 for 15% at Goodwill, then spent 15$ to buy Red Dead Redemption GOTY.

I've always wanted to play this game but could never justify buying a console for just one game. Hooray thirft shops!

Had to open it up and clean it though, damn thing smells like stale beer and had 8 pounds of cat hair in it. Works though, no red ring, though there is a bit of whine that makes me thing the dvd drive may have a bearing on its way out.

EBRAddict

Quote from: somnif on October 06, 2018, 10:43:02 PM
I picked up an Xbox 360 for 15% at Goodwill, then spent 15$ to buy Red Dead Redemption GOTY.

I've always wanted to play this game but could never justify buying a console for just one game. Hooray thirft shops!

Had to open it up and clean it though, damn thing smells like stale beer and had 8 pounds of cat hair in it. Works though, no red ring, though there is a bit of whine that makes me thing the dvd drive may have a bearing on its way out.

The air intake on some models of 360 is poorly filtered. When I replaced the DVD drive after 5 years it was full of gunk.

That said, I'm excited for the new Red Dead. I can't decide on PC or console.

somnif

Quote from: EBRAddict on October 07, 2018, 05:52:54 AM

The air intake on some models of 360 is poorly filtered. When I replaced the DVD drive after 5 years it was full of gunk.

That said, I'm excited for the new Red Dead. I can't decide on PC or console.

Assuming it even makes it to PC.... there is a reason I had to wait 8 years to play the first RDR!

alanp

Agents of Mayhem got a review from Zero Punctuation saying that Volition hadn't moved on, at all, from Saints Row when they made the game.

Cool, I thought, I like Saints Row! And while Yahtzee was fairly negative, he's negative about every game. Even NewDoom. The only game he's ever given a positive review for was Portal 1.

It's arse. The controls are arse, the interface is arse, the cars handle like arse. The difficulty relies on you mastering the fiddly superhero power crap, and you have to change between characters, who have different powers. I'm sure that if I played it a lot and memorized all their powers and special abilities, I could clock it, but I would rather waste neurons on DIY, beer, and games like Mad Max and Evil Genius. Or Saints Row 2 and 3. (4 was kinda fun, but too up itself, and the superpowers thing got bloody annoying.)
- Terry Pratchett
My website

juansolo

Been ill for about a week now so have been hitting the games reasonably hard. So decided to do some concise game reviews...

Forza Horizon 4 - A great game that's slightly spoiled by the enforced fruit machine that's more key to in-game progression than actually playing the racing game. Because if there's one thing this game likes doing, it's encouraging you to pay more to progress easier... I really dislike it when they intentionally make games frustrating to milk more money from you after you've already paid for it. It's a modern disease that needs to end. I'll give it a 6/10 because it actually ruins what is otherwise an excellent game. I guess I'll go back to Forza Motorsport 6 (not 7, that's even worse than Horizon 4. But they realised they'd pushed it too far there and dialed it back here), where it still feels like it's a racing game for the most part, rather than a racing game themed fruit machine. I'm bored of these gambling mechanics in mainstream games now. Any I find that have them from this point forth I'm just avoiding.

Steamworld Dig 2 - Really enjoyed this one. Like the first, (an up to date dig-dug / boulderdash thing with robots), just refined and much better. Solid 8/10. Thoroughly enjoyable right to the boss fight at the end, which I tried a couple of times then just watched how things turned out on youtube. I really CBA with bossfights these days.

Megaman 11 - A game for people who still have memories and reflexes. I have neither so it seems unfairly hard Not the games fault, it's just not made for me. For what it's worth, looks like the best Megaman game in eons. Can't really score it as I'm too shit at it, and that's not the game's fault (it's that sort of game).

Shadow of the Tomb Raider - Obviously TR and Uncharted are linked, they both borrow heavily from each other. I actually preferred Rise of the TR to UC4, but I really enjoyed Lost Legacy, which I thought was a much tighter and better game than both. Which brings us to Shadow... Which to this point feels like it's really trying really hard to be Uncharted, but is lacking in the polish to pull that off. Stuttering audio and out of sync cut scenes all pulling you out of the immersion. I had a 'waiting for streaming' message the other day when just walking from one area to another. The set pieces being a bit clunky/twitchy and requiring me to look online to find out if I'm actually trying to do the right thing (I was) but the game was for some reason just not letting me and insta-killing me instead. It just feels rushed and untested. I've played this one for a few days solid now and it's just not pulling me back.

OnRush - This was a surprise. Totally not worth it at the release price, which was insane. I picked it up for something like £15 which it's well worth. Completely frenetic arcade racing game. Way more addictive than the premise would have you believe. I was worried it was online only (a strict no buy for me if that's the case, I don't play online games), but it works without.
Gnomepage - DIY effects library & stuff in the Stompage bit
"I excite very large doom for days" - playpunk

alanp

https://www.mobygames.com/game/extreme-pinball

Installed DosBox to have another blat at Rock Fantasy. The music for that table is great. (And I love the fighting knights on the medieval table, very cool.)

But I remember being one hell of a lot better at this game when I was a teenager.

Epic Megagames, before Gears of War. It's personal preference, but I prefer Doom and Painkiller, to hiding behind chest high walls, along with bloody slow movement. Epic had a lot of cracker games, back in the 90s.
- Terry Pratchett
My website

chromesphere

Quote from: juansolo on October 20, 2018, 02:09:44 AM

Steamworld Dig 2 - Really enjoyed this one. Like the first, (an up to date dig-dug / boulderdash thing with robots), just refined and much better. Solid 8/10. Thoroughly enjoyable right to the boss fight at the end, which I tried a couple of times then just watched how things turned out on youtube. I really CBA with bossfights these days.

We (james and i) didnt have the momentum to finish this one (we finished the first Dig).  Which is kind of strange because the 2nd was overall just more interesting.  Prehaps we got distracted, im not sure.  we've picked it up 3 times now but the joy just fizzles.  Again, not sure why, it was a decent game.

A steamworld heist 2 would be good :) man, some of those fights were intense
Pedal Parts Shop              Youtube

alanp

Picked up Day Of The Tentacle Remastered.

I'd clocked it back in the 90s, and had quite forgotten just how good the humour in it is!
- Terry Pratchett
My website