News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

What are you playing? (games)

Started by jtn191, April 22, 2016, 07:48:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

somnif

Quote from: Govmnt_Lacky on January 20, 2019, 02:41:55 PM
I am not a gamer... let me start with that.

My son had gotten me interested in a game he has for the PS4. It's called Just Cause 3 (I think it is an old game but, I am not savvy with these things) I have been playing it off and on for a few days now. I love the gameplay and the story line. It is occasionally buggy and it crashes every once in a while but it is none-the-less very fun.

My problem is a facet of the game where you have to grapple from rooftop to rooftop in a short amount of time to disable "audio monitors." This in itself is extremely frustrating and almost makes me not want to play the game. They give you 1:19 to repel all over town to disable 6 monitors and it seems damn near impossible.

Anyone have any ideas or hints on how to get these stupid things disables in time?

Several of the towns have a similar objective, and some towns are trickier than others. An upgrade for your grapple lets you hold down a button to turbo-boost your reel in speed, which can buy you a few seconds here and there. Beyond that the trick is just figuring out where all 6 are before you start so you don't get lost.

Govmnt_Lacky

Quote from: somnif on January 20, 2019, 03:12:41 PM
Several of the towns have a similar objective, and some towns are trickier than others. An upgrade for your grapple lets you hold down a button to turbo-boost your reel in speed, which can buy you a few seconds here and there. Beyond that the trick is just figuring out where all 6 are before you start so you don't get lost.

I'll have to look into the grapple upgrade. Thanks!

I do know that they have a jet-pack wingsuit that allows you to fly which would make it 10x easier BUT... it is an in-game purchase which makes me think that they put this challenge in so people would buy it  ::)

somnif

Quote from: Govmnt_Lacky on January 20, 2019, 04:12:48 PM
I do know that they have a jet-pack wingsuit that allows you to fly which would make it 10x easier BUT... it is an in-game purchase which makes me think that they put this challenge in so people would buy it  ::)

Nah, the flight DLC came out ages after the main game, and the town liberation stuff was all out well before that. The game balance is just a bit wonky at times (Avalanche is much better at game engines than game design when it comes down to it). You'll see similar frustrating moments when you run into forced driving sections, some things are just a little awkward in a game built around the concept of "bigger explosions. no Bigger. No, BIGGER!".

alanp

Never did get very far into Skyrim, so I'm having another whack at it.

Lessons learned so far:

Levelling as a mage is horrible. Awful. It doesn't take long before the sheer embarrassment of your follower massively out-dps'ing you causes you to roll a new character. One that has heavy armour and a big-ass sword.

Every single questline will, at some point, require you to travel to the geometrically determined ass end of nowhere. Doesn't matter how much of the map you've explored so far, the game will still find somewhere far, far away from anywhere you've been.

If you go back into dungeons you've cleared, loot the place until you're at max carrying capacity, go back, sell the lot, come back and repeat until the place is as bare as my playing ability, you'll be drowning in gold soon.

Most potions are utterly worthless. The only ones you need are health potions.
"A man is not dead while his name is still spoken."
- Terry Pratchett
My OSHpark shared projects
My website

somnif

Skyrim mages have this awkwardly exponential power curve to them. You're as useless as a tissue paper condom until suddenly you're killing dragons with a wave of your hand.

Utilize followers as tanks, let them take all the hits. Focus on 1 main tree of magic. Level Enchanting along with it. Seriously level Enchanting.

alanp

Well, as far as I'm concerned, Guts from Berserk is one of the greatest characters of all time, so I'll stick with my greatsword swinging, heavily armoured Nord.
- Terry Pratchett
My website

somnif

Quote from: alanp on January 25, 2019, 09:36:36 PM
Well, as far as I'm concerned, Guts from Berserk is one of the greatest characters of all time, so I'll stick with my greatsword swinging, heavily armoured Nord.

With me, no matter what I start out as, I always end up as a stealthy archer. Damn you completely unbalanced arrow damage and ridiculously stupid AI response to stealth!

juansolo

Controversial: Red Dead Redemption 2, tried to get into it, ultimately got bored and sold it.

I know it's supposedly some sort of masterpiece, but the whole having to feed my horse and knowing there's stuff like gun maintenance on the way... I wanted a cowboy game not a simulator. So I started playing Red Dead Redemption for the 360 instead and found myself enjoying it more. Sure it still plods on at a slow old pace, but there's less micro-management in it and it hooked me in pretty much straight away.
Gnomepage - DIY effects library & stuff in the Stompage bit
"I excite very large doom for days" - playpunk

alanp

You mean that temperature affecting your horse's testicles, and the food affecting your horse's plop plops, din't excite you? :)
- Terry Pratchett
My website

juansolo

Learning that there was actual ball-physics in the game should have been a warning sign as to the route this one was going down ;)

juansolo

Quote from: somnif on January 25, 2019, 09:26:25 PMLevel Enchanting along with it. Seriously level Enchanting.

Big time. I've played through Skyrim multiple times, enchantment and smithing are where it's at for me.

somnif

Quote from: juansolo on January 26, 2019, 01:39:49 AM
Big time. I've played through Skyrim multiple times, enchantment and smithing are where it's at for me.

Oh yeah, one of the few mods I always install is an ore vein reskin, just so I can actually SEE the bloody things. Amazing how much easier it is to level smithing when you can actually acquire materials.

alanp

Started playing Farcry 5, and I never before realised that wild American turkey and skunks would, upon seeing you from far away, drop everything and run towards you, viciously attacking.
- Terry Pratchett
My website

alanp

Best way to deal with cult outposts in FC5: silenced sniper rifles.

The utter shiznit.

First, circle the outpost and take out all the speaker post thingies, the alarms. When there aren't random cultists wandering around them. (Oh, gawd, now I'm imagining Khorne cultists in Montana.)

Then, take out all the cultists in the compound, now that they can't raise the alarm that you just shot out. Silenced, so they don't know where TF you are :)
- Terry Pratchett
My website

alanp

- Terry Pratchett
My website