News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Death to a Prototype

Started by jessenator, July 27, 2023, 05:54:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jessenator

Nah. It's more the exact opposite ;D

This Death to the King was my prototype before a board shrink and drill refinement. It was with a friend for outside testing and made its way back to me. Another friend had a different version of the pedal, but in a 3D printed enclosure such was not properly RF shielded, resulting in stone noise. When this prototype came back to me, I decided whom it needed to go to.

Since it was already imperfectly (quite imperfectly...) drilled and had basically sharpie labeling, it needed at least -something-. So in a sort of swan song for my laser etching foray i made a few enclosures including this one. It's not quite as centered as I would've liked, but I'm pleased with the quality.

Sort of the mirror universe version of the white Death to the King I posted a while back:

No gutshots, because I'm embarrassed with the fit and finish off this one. On my defense, I stripped out all of the old working, because it was monstrous albeit functional. The new wiring is cleaned up in some ways, but some pads would just not come clean either with a sucker or wick, so the wires are secured on top.

Here's a look at the magic marker version:

The next couple of builds from me are going to be asking these lines: taking pre-drilled enclosures and getting them pretty close to what I was envisioning.

Thanks for looking.

jimilee

That looks great. Is there a reason you used a sliding switch instead of a rotary, space maybe?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.

jessenator

Quote from: jimilee on July 27, 2023, 08:37:47 AM
That looks great. Is there a reason you used a sliding switch instead of a rotary, space maybe?

Thanks!

Yeah, space but also I didn't even think to use a rotary switch, heh. I think I'm finally over my klone fixation. It's a decent circuit, but I don't like much on its own, hence my tweaked version. Some may say I'm faking it, but some clipping pairs sound different and better. I hate the stock sound, tbh.