News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Schumann PLL Offboard Madness

Started by selfdestroyer, April 23, 2016, 01:28:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

selfdestroyer

All, I know a few of you have built the PLL clone on the PCB by toecutter and I have a cry for help. I am so confused on the bypass switching. I have been looking at the schematic for 45 minutes now and it just does not make sense to me. Can someone help?

Info: I am using the last PCB 1.3 that has all the fixes from the previous boards. I have no subbed parts (Not that it matters since i am just trying to figure out the offboard madness). I am getting +12 & -12 on my test lugs.

Schematic I am using:

Here is my PCB:

This is how I understand it:
DR1 & DRG = External drone expansion
C-OUT = Clean Output
IN & Input = Inputs
O/P = Output
FS1 & FS2 & FSG = External Footswitch

It looks like the S1 3PDT on the schematic is wired just like a standard pedal bypass, right?
I see a LED G pad that I am guessing is the ground pad for switching, right?

I am sure I am overthinking this whole thing, but its got me stumped. Ultimately I would like to wire up the "External Footswitch" internally along with the bypass. Can anyone point out how dumb I am and help?

Edit: I was looking at this pic trying to figure out the external footswitch wiring... head exploded.

Thanks
Cody

selfdestroyer

Update:

Found this at DIYSB Forums

and this

Im not sure if this guy has his working 100%.

selfdestroyer

Update Update:
Looks like Toecutter did have something drawn up and buried in his Photobucket:

Im going to give this a go for the bypass and then start on the external footswitchs internally.

Im tracking all this so it might help others.

Cody

davent

Thanks for doing this Cody, i'm still sitting on my boards. There is i believe a fix on the last board involving the the 2M pot, i'll have to look it up on the other computer.

dave
"If you always do what you always did- you always get what you always got." - Unknown

If my photos are missing again... they're hosted by photobucket... and as of 06/2017 being held hostage... to be continued?

bcalla

Note that I read on one of the forums - probably DIYSB - that the clean out isn't really a clean out.  It's more like a cleanER out.  I don't want you to think you screwed the wiring if during testing you don't get a clean signal from that jack.

I have one of these partially built using one of the earlier boards that needed a bunch of cuts and jumpers.  After carefully following the instructions to bring the board up snuff, I found during testing that some of the cuts/jumpers reverse the pots, e.g. making volume decrease when turned clockwise.  So I spent time with the schematic figuring out which cuts & jumpers needed to be reverted to correct the pot rotation.  I think I may have messed that up.  I'm not optimistic that mine will ever work.  I'd love to get a clean set of boards & reboot.

alanp

I've got a blue board... something is killing the signal on the first opamp or two. I should probably troubleshoot it again.
"A man is not dead while his name is still spoken."
- Terry Pratchett
My OSHpark shared projects
My website

selfdestroyer

Got it working this morning and thing thing is a great mangler... so much fun. I used my iPhone as a singla source and just fed in a M83 album and tweaked knobs.. sonic destruction.

I am going to start laying out a 1590DD and leave room for the external footswitches internally and see if I can figure them out on the fly.

Quote from: davent on April 23, 2016, 08:08:30 AM
Thanks for doing this Cody, i'm still sitting on my boards. There is i believe a fix on the last board involving the the 2M pot, i'll have to look it up on the other computer.

dave

I seen Glops say:
QuoteI also am liking a 250k instead of the 2m pot in the PLL's looping section.

Not sure if thats what your talking about. I can't find anything else regarding the 2M pot.

Quote from: bcalla on April 23, 2016, 09:20:24 AM
Note that I read on one of the forums - probably DIYSB - that the clean out isn't really a clean out.  It's more like a cleanER out.  I don't want you to think you screwed the wiring if during testing you don't get a clean signal from that jack.

I had notes on that also. I seen a few fixes floating around for a true clean out.. have to find the notes again. Im not to worried about it.

Quote from: alanp on April 23, 2016, 12:58:55 PM
I've got a blue board... something is killing the signal on the first opamp or two. I should probably troubleshoot it again.

DO IT! We can all do build reports on this thing.

Back to the bench!

Cody

davent

Still haven't got to the other computer but i believe this may be what i was thinking of. Good pictures detailing the fix a few posts after this explanation.

http://www.diystompboxes.com/smfforum/index.php?topic=102012.msg946590#msg946590

dave
"If you always do what you always did- you always get what you always got." - Unknown

If my photos are missing again... they're hosted by photobucket... and as of 06/2017 being held hostage... to be continued?

selfdestroyer

Quote from: davent on April 23, 2016, 04:35:53 PM
Still haven't got to the other computer but i believe this may be what i was thinking of. Good pictures detailing the fix a few posts after this explanation.

http://www.diystompboxes.com/smfforum/index.php?topic=102012.msg946590#msg946590

dave

Dang, your right. Back to the bench. At least it seems to be an easy mod and not like the first ver of the PCB. LOL

Cody