News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Lo-fi Machine! (Comp, Pitch Pirate and Sonic Reducer)

Started by Boba7, April 27, 2016, 05:50:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jtn191

Haberdasher

Looking for a discontinued madbean board?  Check out my THREAD

FABBED PCB's FOR SALE:
Now carrying Matched JFETS

Coda-effects

Congrats! It's awesome!

We want clips! I cant wait to ear how it sounds!

midwayfair

Cool looking build.

I've always been a little disappointed that I couldn't get any other builds of the MOSFET comp to sound like my first build, which was capable of very little compression but also some VERY intense squashing and sounds amazing on bass. I did some more experimentation with MOSFETs and there's a very small voltage range where they will perform well as a variable resistor, but the magic seems to lie as much in the op amp choice for some reason as well.

Anyway, I'm glad you found it useful and that the layout can be considered confirmed by someone else :)

Boba7

Yeah I think I tried 3 different Lm358, for some reason the one from Tayda seemed to work best in my build. Very strange. But the 2n7000 from tayda were all crap.

diablochris6

Very nice. The enclosure and stamps fit the melange of circuits underneath.

And congrats on the new addition!
Build guides of my original designs and modifications here

Boba7

So here's a very brief iphone recording I made this afternoon. Crappy sound (it's the point after all), my strat into a fatpants into the Lo-fi machine with a touch of reverb, into my vox pathfinder (the only amp I can play at home right now). I put the Iphone just in front of the amp.

Subtle detune with a dark vibrato sound and some noise from the bitcrusher.

It kinda makes me think of Frusciante early solo albums.

[soundcloud]https://soundcloud.com/user-322140065/lo-fi-machine-subtle-detune-and-noise[/soundcloud]

George

man please make a video showing what this awesome pedal can do.

JackSkellington

Really cool pedal! 8)
I can't find the layout of the mosfet compressor you used. Can I get a link, please?
«Just because I cannot see it doesn't mean I can't believe it»

Boba7

Quote from: JackSkellington on December 23, 2018, 02:49:00 AM
Really cool pedal! 8)
I can't find the layout of the mosfet compressor you used. Can I get a link, please?

Thanks! A musician who had bought a couple pedals from me insisted on buying that one, but now I see it again I kinda regret it!!

In the end I had some trouble with the mosfet comp and used Mictester really cheap compressor, which works really well (and can be a bit dark, which is good. But there's a fix for that, so you can have a bright switch)

The layout for the Mosfet comp was from midwayfair, I must still have it on my laptop, I'll post it here soon! :)

JackSkellington

Thanks!

I'd like to try also the Really Cheap Compressor, it need just a few of components, but the LDR+LEDs (the LEDs are two!) make it a bit tricky. :(
«Just because I cannot see it doesn't mean I can't believe it»

Boba7

Quote from: JackSkellington on December 25, 2018, 01:05:12 AM
I'd like to try also the Really Cheap Compressor, it need just a few of components, but the LDR+LEDs (the LEDs are two!) make it a bit tricky. :(

Its actually not that tricky. I used an ldr from Tayda and 2 diffused green leds, and it worked perfectly well! :)
Sorry still on my Iphone but I will find you the layout! :)