News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Lab Series L5 preamp in a pedal

Started by aion, May 01, 2016, 06:03:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

daleykd

Quote from: aion on May 02, 2016, 06:46:20 AM
It's screenprinted from Pedal Parts Plus. The artwork file is available for download on the project page partway down. It's not cheap to order a one-off (enclosure + powdercoat + printing was close to $40 for mine, not including shipping) but if there's enough interest we could potentially order extras and Johnny could sell them for whatever price would make it worth his while. We're going to be getting at least 50 for the Alchemy run, so we could just add more enclosures to the order if we had people who were interested. These ones will be from Mammoth and will also be drilled as well.
Yeah, I'd be interested if it meant getting that awesome enclosure for less than $40.

jtn191

Wow! how's it sound?!? What's the comp circuit like?

aion

Pretty basic CA3080 implementation, a bit simpler than a Ross/Dyna. It's essentially just a one-knob limiter to pull the volume back down post-distortion. It lets you crank the volume controls to set the distortion level but keep it to reasonable output levels - emulating tube sag a bit.

markeprice

Aion. I have built a few of your boards and have one or two left to complete and the engineering/layout is excellent.  I cant wait to get this board.  Is the screen print file editable in inkcape? 
Cuz they's made for Giggin!
Mark Price: owner frogpedals.com

aion

It's a PDF file so I'm not sure. I used Illustrator. But I could probably get it into an SVG file for Inkscape compatibility if Inkscape doesn't handle PDFs well.

Orbis_Ignis

galaxiex

Dang! I'm in for an enclosure if/when it happens.

Double dang! I forgot to order the emblem!
Fear leads to Anger, Anger leads to Hate, Hate leads to Suffering.

aion

Just do another order and I'll refund the shipping when it goes out!

v00d00blues79

I got mine when they were posted to Facebook.  I'll be going fully dressed on this one with the enclosure and name plate.  I was also thinking about putting together a balanced line driver to have in case I wanted to run direct to the board.  Mainly because I have a couple of the THAT1646 chips in the stash and it would give me a reason to use them.

Great job on this beast! The PCB is freakin' huge!!

Andy

Boba7

Wow, I'd love to hear it too! Great great build.

(and working with Aion pcbs is just great, can't say enough good things about them!!)

slacker775

I snagged one a week or so ago when they were announced.  The board is definitely not small but it is a beauty.  I'd def be interested in an enclosure if there is a 'group buy' kind of thing.   The ~$40 as a solo unit is pretty steep.   Any kind of reduction on that would be killer.

galaxiex

Quote from: aion on May 02, 2016, 11:53:40 AM
Just do another order and I'll refund the shipping when it goes out!

Thanks very much!  8)

Order done.
Fear leads to Anger, Anger leads to Hate, Hate leads to Suffering.

gordo

I'm really looking forward to this one.  My old beater L5 is my main live rig so it will be cool to be able to A/B.  This is an insane amount of work to lay this thing out, but thanks for the time and effort!
Gordy Power
How loud is too loud?  What?

matmosphere

Wow! That thing looks fantastic and you can tell it was a labor of love for you man. Are you just doing a limited run or are you planning on keeping it stocked at your store? I promised myself I was going to stop buying boards for a bit until I catch up with the backlog first. Of course I've bought four boards since I made that promise..

Orbis_Ignis

Anybody know of a good simple power amp to go with it? Low wattage is definitely good