News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Lab Series L5 preamp in a pedal

Started by aion, May 01, 2016, 06:03:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

aion

This is the preamp section of a Lab Series L5 amp in pedal form. I've been chasing this sucker for years, having owned one of the amps since 2008 and wanting to do some sort of clone or adaptation long before I knew a thing about electronics. Finally got inspired this past fall to tackle it, and six months later, this is how it turned out. It feels good to have it done! :)

The last pic is the best I have for a gut shot - right before I did the wiring. I'll try to get a finalized wiring photo up in the next couple of days.

PCBs available here ($20 each for the next 2 weeks, use coupon "beanplate" - normally $24). Warning - not for the faint of heart... 12 pots, 4 switches, 80 resistors, 50 caps and 12 ICs!

galaxiex

WOW! Very nice!  8)  8)  8)

If I wasn't so deep in soooo many other projects I'd be tempted....

Actually I am tempted anyway.... just could not get to building it for quite a while....
Fear leads to Anger, Anger leads to Hate, Hate leads to Suffering.

jimilee

That's beautiful, sounds like   a serious, commitment, does it come with a prenup?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.

aion

Quote from: jimilee on May 01, 2016, 06:47:22 PM
That's beautiful, sounds like   a serious, commitment, does it come with a prenup?

Got the attorney working on one right now... :)

culturejam

Partner and Product Developer at Function f(x).
My Personal Site with Effects Projects

galaxiex

Quote from: culturejam on May 01, 2016, 08:48:55 PM
Fuuuuuuuuuuck  :o

Ya, that's what I said too, just wasn't brave enough to post it.

What the hell, I ordered one.  ::)
Fear leads to Anger, Anger leads to Hate, Hate leads to Suffering.

tcpoint

Quote from: galaxiex on May 01, 2016, 08:56:29 PM
Quote from: culturejam on May 01, 2016, 08:48:55 PM
Fuuuuuuuuuuck  :o

Ya, that's what I said too, just wasn't brave enough to post it.

What the hell, I ordered one.  ::)

Exactly!!!  I ordered one, as well.

m-Kresol

damn this looks awesome. Really tempting indeed.
I build pedals to hide my lousy playing.

My projects are labeled Quantum Effects. My shared OSH park projects: https://oshpark.com/profiles/m-Kresol
My build docs and tutorials

brejna

Wow! Really interesting build. Is there an demo available?

aion

Not yet. I think Johnny from Alchemy Audio will be doing a run of them, and he was planning to do a video demo as part of it, but that'd still be a few months out at least.

Coda-effects

Awesome !

I would really love to hear it as well, as I am not very familiar with this preamp....

Aesthetic question: how did you made these clean writings for each setting?
With so many pots, it is kind of necessary to know what does what  ;D

daleykd

Man, I wasn't going to.  I have enough on my plate, but the PCB is just so pretty!

chuckbuick

Wow!  Beautiful PCB and build.  Right down to the different colored screws for the nameplate.

bscur

That is amazing. I'll have to research what it does, but it looks professionally done. How did you get the white lettering? What is your process for that? Looks great!

aion

It's screenprinted from Pedal Parts Plus. The artwork file is available for download on the project page partway down. It's not cheap to order a one-off (enclosure + powdercoat + printing was close to $40 for mine, not including shipping) but if there's enough interest we could potentially order extras and Johnny could sell them for whatever price would make it worth his while. We're going to be getting at least 50 for the Alchemy run, so we could just add more enclosures to the order if we had people who were interested. These ones will be from Mammoth and will also be drilled as well.