News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

8-Ball Stupidity

Started by pryonisys, May 03, 2016, 06:22:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

pryonisys

This really isn't a question, I just want to show off the stupid mistake I made when putting together my 8-Ball pedal.
Before anything else let me say that the pedal works great (not boxed yet but it sounds really good).  I was putting all the components in the board last night in the short time I have every week to work on these projects.  As I neared the end of my time blocked out for projects I just had to put in the switch and the pots.  I put the switch in first then realized my stupid stupid mistake when I went to put the first pot in the board.

As it currently stands it is going to be really hard to use the switch haha.

BrianS

Have I done that? Uh.... Yes I believe so.  It will come out but just be careful when you desolder it so you don't lift the pads. I find getting the switches off the board a lot easier than most other components. You have room to get the solder sucker in there. 

jimilee

I just disassembled a switch and desoldering the lugs one at at time, it was just easier, of course the switch was destroyed but the board wasn't harmed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.

alanp

I did that with four rotary switches on a meatball build once. Wound up throwing the board away.
"A man is not dead while his name is still spoken."
- Terry Pratchett
My OSHpark shared projects
My website

selfdestroyer

Quote from: alanp on May 03, 2016, 10:49:02 AM
I did that with four rotary switches on a meatball build once. Wound up throwing the board away.

I always remember that story every time I build something with rotary switches. lol

I have done this on one of my first Multiplex builds.. Its one of those things I think you do once and you ALWAYS remember after that point. lol

I feel your pain.

Cody

EBRAddict

I woke up one Saturday morning at 5 a.m. to finish up an Improbability Drive with six pots and two toggles. Got through soldering in the controls, went to the gym, came home, drilled the box, went to put in the board and was like WTF? Spent two hours gently removing the pots and switches.

Anymore I stay away from the soldering iron when sleepy.

icecycle66

I don't see a problem.
You just made it an easy access internal switch.

add4

be a booteek pedal builder and call it a feature?

pryonisys

I love so many of these responses.
Thanks everyone I feel better to know I'm not alone in some silly mistakes.

pryonisys

Got the switch back out and put in properly, the effect still works great.
Not going to box it until I have a second effect done so they can be boxed together.
Thanks everyone.

BrianS

Quote from: pryonisys on May 04, 2016, 08:47:30 AM
I love so many of these responses.
Thanks everyone I feel better to know I'm not alone in some silly mistakes.

Chalk it up to a learning experience. Not only is your effect working but you didn't burn up your board getting the switch out. That's a two for one. Taking your time is probably an understated trait for this hobby.  I've done some really dumb things by getting in hurry. Congrats on getting it working.