News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Greetings from Scotland

Started by kalimna, May 05, 2016, 03:49:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

kalimna

Dear All,
A quick note to say Hello, and thank you for the wonderful resource that is this forum. I havent actually started building a pedal yet, but have acquired *nearly* all of the components for several projects (from simple overdrive/boost to should-i-really-given-no-experience modulation effetcs). I am still researching topics and trying to understand what is going on, simplistically, with a circuit before getting the soldering iron out.
I have played guitar for several years, but really only into an amp (marshall 6101) and no effects pedals between guitar and speaker. I do, however, have a passion for building things and have a couple of electric guitars under my belt and a couple of ukes too.
I live and work (anaesthetist) near Stirling in the permanently wet (it seems) middle of Scotland.
Cheers,
Adam

jimilee

Welcome Adam! Just take your time, and enjoy the process.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.

Jules

Welcome Adam, I got in to this hobby a couple of years ago and it is without a doubt the most enjoyable I have had apart from playing guitar.
Get stuck into a couple of the simpler Pcbs you have like the boost, pay attention to what you are doing and work your way up to more complex modulation etc.
There will incur problems along the way and I highly recommend building something like the JMK test rig, it will really help with troubleshooting.
All the best.
Jules from down under (Australia)

Leevibe

BrianS

Welcome. This is a great site with great people. And as mentioned above go slow and watch what you're doing. One misplaced component can throw you into a tizzy. Up front, you are going to encounter failure, so prepare for it. Some of the guys with a 1000 plus posts pop up on occasion with problems. It's just the nature of this great hobby.  You just have to (and I will date myself here) Keep Pushin (a favorite Reo Speedwagon song of mine). As with many people on here I have a box of burnt up boards and failed attempts.  It's all part of the learning experience.  So good success to you and just don't give up.  When the pedal fires up first or tenth time it is always a nice rush LOL.

kalimna

Thanks for the greets,
Having experience of building guitars from scratch (including a re-purposed laboratory workbench!) and a couple of other furniture projects gives a good grounding in patience and expectation of failure/mishap along the way. But there is also nothing quite like plucking the first chord on something you've made yourself.
I will certainly stick to the simpler circuits initially, and rather than go the PCB route, I will start off with veroboard. Perhaps later on I'll branch out, but for now, keeping it simple.
Cheers,
Adam