News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Condor or...

Started by JackSkellington, May 05, 2016, 02:25:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JackSkellington

Hi everyone.
I have to choice a cab sim. ROG Condor is one of most famous, built and well documented. It has some great mods, too. But someone seems to get a bit of overdrive in some cases. I'd like a cab sim clean, more than else. A "saturation" could be an optional, maybe, but not an issue.

I need some information about your experience with the Condor Cab Sim, and a possible alternative. One above other about the MultiCab Sim, it seems to be ok and versatile, too.

Thanks! ;)
«Just because I cannot see it doesn't mean I can't believe it»

jkokura

I've never built a cab sim that I thought actually did a good job of making me believe I was playing without a real speaker. It's okay for practice, but I find them not good for performance or recording. Just my experience

That said, the condor didn't sound bad. Essentially it's just a fixed eq circuit made to represent the average curve of a signal from your amp out your speaker. If you want to build one, the Condor is fine, as is the MultiCab.

Jacob
JMK Pedals - Custom Pedal Creations
JMK PCBs *New Website*
pedal company - youtube - facebook - Used Pedals

JackSkellington

Yeah, I would just built the right one for me. ;D
MultiCab, probably it is a bit expensive because the four knobs.
Anyway I'd like use it to play with phone, I'm gonna build a MXR headphone.
Someone use the condor for recording.

Willybomb

Harald at sabrotone has a Marshall cab sim that's not too bad. I've got 'simplecab sim' from jok3rs layout built that needs testing, and I've just built Multicab sim on vero to test too.

The fellow who designed Multicab has released it commercially and the YouTube reviews sound excellent. There's also an oshpark pcb available too...

JackSkellington

I considerated Marshall cab, but I find it little versatile with just the gain control.
I also found Simplecab Sim. I wait your testing, buddy.
I need the video link of Multicab, I didn't find it :-\.

Willybomb

Yeah, sorry about that.  I'd forgotten that he'd updated it in the process and renamed it the Omnicabsim..

JackSkellington

I have the tagboard veroboard layout of the MultiCab. Of the evolution you posted here we can't find the schematic, I guess.

Condor or MultiCab? I change my mind every day. ::)

Willybomb

The Omnicabsim is his commercial effort I think and was updated.  Multicabsim is by all accounts nearly as flexable.

JackSkellington

I watched the videos. Well if the "basic" MultiCab works like that... it's pretty good.
Ok, today the winner is MultiCab. ;D Tomorrow?

peterc

Hi Jack
It would be good to hear your feedback on difference between the two.

Regards
Peter
Affiliation: bizzaraudio.com

JackSkellington

Yeah, indeed, I'd like even me to know how much difference could to be between the two. I'd like to know before to build it, but that's ok.

I'm planning to build the Multicab. I prefered the four knobs versatility to the optional one-switch (Condor/Marshall) of the Condor.
I let you know, but the waiting will be long, my order of the material will be place next month.

peterc

Affiliation: bizzaraudio.com

Muadzin

I found the multi-cab sim very interesting but the reason I never built it was too many controls. Just give me something that sounds like a 4x12 Marshall cab and that's good enough for me.

JackSkellington

I never built or used a cab sim. I would like to use it with another new (for me) project, a MXR Headphone. (Eventually this cab sim could be useful for recording, but my PC has a basic audio card.)

I'm afraid if I build an any cab sim, I could dislike it, instead if the cab sim has more controls, maybe it will be hadred to set, but I even can get more sounds.