News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Does anybody have any experience with this "click-less" true bypass relay?

Started by jimmybjj, July 21, 2011, 03:00:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jimmybjj

I am really interested in the amz stuff but he is out of stock and doesn't know when it will be back in stock. So I set out looking for alternatives and this popped up. Anybody ever try this or have any comments concerning this system?

http://www.eclecticsoundspdx.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=126&products_id=537
Pcbs no longer available

k.rock!

I have 2 of the AMZ boards at home but haven't tried them yet. I will very soon though. I'm thinking of using them on the next pedals I build for myself. Possibly a LaVache and a Cosmo. I can probably comment on those as soon as I use them though :)

-Kaleb
God bless!
www.kalebromero.com

gtr2

I've used the amz boards and they work well.  Jack Deville's cost about twice as much when all said and done.  B_of_H, a forum member has used them with success but he hasn't been real active here lately.

Josh
1776 EFFECTS STORE     
Contract PCB designer

aflynt

I've used both. They are functionally pretty similar, but I prefer the AMZ ones. Mostly due to price, but also because he provides more in-depth documentation about what the different parts do. I'm sure I could figure out which was the CLR on the JD board, but it would be nice if they'd just tell you so you could change it to get the brightness at a suitable level. The JD seems to be more consumer oriented and the AMZ seems more DIY hacker oriented if that makes any sense.

Someday I'd like to get into uC programming and do my own system. The whole idea of digitally controlled analog interests me in that it doesn't seem like many people or companies have really taken it to it's logical extension. I'm envisioning a touchscreen interface to a bunch of effects with programmable preset settings where the entire signal path is analog and you still have a true hardwire bypass.

-Aaron

cjkbug

I've recently stopped using the amz version. I've had lots of problems with them crapping out on me. they will switch the led but will either stay permanently engaged or permanently in bypass. I've had over 50% of them fail. I've heard that the microprocessor is very sensitive to static discharge. I don't know if that is the problem. when they work though...they work well.
I got blisters on my fingers!!!

aflynt

Quote from: cjkbug on July 21, 2011, 07:55:06 PM
I've recently stopped using the amz version. I've had lots of problems with them crapping out on me. they will switch the led but will either stay permanently engaged or permanently in bypass. I've had over 50% of them fail. I've heard that the microprocessor is very sensitive to static discharge. I don't know if that is the problem. when they work though...they work well.

Huh. Something similar is is happening to one of mine too. The LED switches, but the effect actually stays bypassed. It seems to come on gradually and then goes away. IE: it starts out intermittently switching, then just always stays bypassed, then after awhile works fine again. I switched out the uC for another one and it did the same thing, though which is why I thought it was something else failing.

-Aaron

cjkbug

Exactly. I'm wondering if it's the relays. I don't know how I could find out.

aziltz

i'm working on a circuit (and eventually a PCB) for the single coil latching DPDT relay available at mammoth.  the circuit will use regular parts (no PIC or uC) to drive the relay.

jimmybjj

Quote from: aziltz on July 22, 2011, 02:44:55 PM
i'm working on a circuit (and eventually a PCB) for the single coil latching DPDT relay available at mammoth.  the circuit will use regular parts (no PIC or uC) to drive the relay.

Very cool! When do you expect this to happen?
Pcbs no longer available

aziltz

well, i've pretty much designed it already (the circuit).  If I have time this weekend I will breadboard it.  I'd say the PCB is a month or so away though, I want to get my feet wet with a buffer circuit first.

The point of my version is to do it with transistors/mosfets, an inverter and possibly a flipflop but NO uC or PIC controller.

jimmybjj

Quote from: aziltz on July 22, 2011, 05:38:02 PM
well, i've pretty much designed it already (the circuit).  If I have time this weekend I will breadboard it.  I'd say the PCB is a month or so away though, I want to get my feet wet with a buffer circuit first.

The point of my version is to do it with transistors/mosfets, an inverter and possibly a flipflop but NO uC or PIC controller.

Awesome very excited to see this. I will definitely be buying a few.
Pcbs no longer available

cjkbug

stecykmi

using a microcontroller or a pic to do simple switching seems excessive to me anyway...

aziltz

it actually makes more sense, but the learning curve is in the way.  if you know how to program it, and can write the program, it then becomes more like a 1 chip solution, rather than transistors and inverters.  its good if your going to make something really complex.  I don't have the ability to try out PIC right now so I'm going the analog route.

Jack Deville

Hey, Guys.

Thanks for the interest and support of the Click-Less™ True-Bypass system.

A lot of time went into development of the Click-Less™ system ensuring rock-solid performance, graceful fault recovery (in the unlikely event of system failure), and on-board diagnostics.  Probably overkill for such a seemingly simple circuit, but that's just how I roll.

One of the myriad of features the Click-Less™ True-Bypass system boasts is extremely low power (consumption <0.1mA while idle), and while I haven't personally measured the current draw of the competitors, a brief glance at the alternatives indicates figures this low are strictly impossible given the parts selection and execution of competing products.

The Click-Less™ True-Bypass system was designed to be as easy to use as possible.  Detail of internal operation is not necessary to accomplish these tasks.  Detailed model specific and general installation guides are available for public download at:  www.clicklesstruebypass.com
Hell, you can use these documents to install alternate relay systems or your bypass system of choice into whatever you've got.

If you have questions or comments, feel free to contact me directly via email at:  jack@jackdeville.com

Mods:  If this post is in violation of the Terms of Use, please notify me and delete any and all sections in violation.

Peace, love and hair grease!
Logic.  And Cats.  And logical cats.