News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

UK / EU folks: Thoughts on the upcoming "Br-Exit" referendum?

Started by culturejam, June 03, 2016, 01:21:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

darrenw6000

We never voted for the people in Brussels that make our laws, they are unelected folks. They tell us what to do, they tell us how many people can come to live here putting stress on public services which are struggling to cope as it is.

raulduke

Don't worry I don't trust any of them (politicians that is)  ;)

I don't think we are special as a country. I do think that at least we are fortunate enough to have been given the opportunity to decide on this for ourselves.

Turkey specifically joining doesn't worry me. What worries me is economically unstable countries joining, and then expecting a bail out when it all goes south (look at what happened in Greece).

I'm still undecided, but I do feel like we are putting more in than we are getting out at this moment in time.

As I said look at Switzerland and Norway. Both have very good economies, but neither seems particularly keen on getting their EU membership sorted. They seem to be doing fine without.

I'm still not 100% decided. I just wish that the media and politicians on both sides would let this be a fair discussion, without resorting to name calling and hyperbole, but it was never going to end that way I suppose.

darrenw6000

i know were not special. Turkey is a concern as it would mean better access into Europe for people smugglers from the middle east, Africa and beyond. Turkey is nowhere near ready for EU integration anyway.
Speaking economically now, the worst performing area in the world right now is the EU, its a sinking ship.

Scruffie

You're just spouting out the standard leave lines, we do vote for who represents us in the EU at a local level and we also elect governments who will represent our interests and we have a say in everything that goes on in Europe, they are not un-elected in any sense of the word (look at those links I mentioned earlier).

Our public services (by which I assume you are focusing on health) are struggling due to severe under funding and an increasingly old and obese population. Immigration feeds our economy greatly and results in a net gain per person, they tend to put in more than taxes than a lot of UK born residents and not to mention all the UK nationals who live abroad and do the same thing to other countries in the EU, leaving will not suddenly halt immigration anyway.
Works at Lectric-FX

darrenw6000

immigration is good, we just need to manage the numbers and take in more specified skill sets to which we need.
Yes we elect representatives but ultimately they dont get the final say.

Scruffie

We do manage it, we have one of the lowest levels of immigration in Europe, plus if you bomb the crap out of several countries, you reap what you sow.

I would count a veto as a final say, if it's not unanimous, it doesn't pass.
Works at Lectric-FX

culturejam

Quote from: Scruffie on June 03, 2016, 02:43:46 PM

I would think unanimity in a national referendum would be outlandishly unlikely. Usually referenda are simple majority votes.
Partner and Product Developer at Function f(x).
My Personal Site with Effects Projects

Scruffie

Quote from: raulduke on June 03, 2016, 02:30:28 PM
As I said look at Switzerland and Norway. Both have very good economies, but neither seems particularly keen on getting their EU membership sorted. They seem to be doing fine without.

I'm still not 100% decided. I just wish that the media and politicians on both sides would let this be a fair discussion, without resorting to name calling and hyperbole, but it was never going to end that way I suppose.
Switzerland and Norway may sit on the outskirts but they are still bound by the majority of EU laws and regulations or else they wouldn't be able to trade within it, they still pay in to it but they truly do have no say in its running.

I certainly agree the circus around it is making it increasingly difficult to decide, it requires a lot of independent research most people are not going to do to pull the fact from fiction, which is a problem when an extremely important question is put to the public, frankly I don't think the country was ready for the referendum, it's a time of heated emotions and uncertainty, not the best situation to be making any decisions in life.
Works at Lectric-FX

darrenw6000

We all have our opinion. It's a tough call but come 23rd June we can choose to vote.
All the best.

raulduke

Quote from: culturejam on June 03, 2016, 02:45:48 PM
Quote from: Scruffie on June 03, 2016, 02:43:46 PM

I would think unanimity in a national referendum would be outlandishly unlikely. Usually referenda are simple majority votes.

Yep I'm sure it will be very close.

The difficulty is that there isn't a clear choice (for me anyway).

It's bit like last years election, which resembled that South Park episode where they have to choose between a douche and a turd... no easy decision to be made  ;D

I suppose at least we are lucky enough in the UK that these are the kind of decisions that we have to labor and fret over. Rather than when we are getting our next meal etc.

culturejam

Quote from: raulduke on June 03, 2016, 03:25:21 PM
It's bit like last years election, which resembled that South Park episode where they have to choose between a douche and a turd... no easy decision to be made  ;D

Got one of those coming up in November here. Not looking forward to it.
Partner and Product Developer at Function f(x).
My Personal Site with Effects Projects

matmosphere

Quote from: culturejam on June 03, 2016, 03:39:46 PM
Got one of those coming up in November here. Not looking forward to it.

Good Lord, please don't start that conversation.

29palms

It might be good to leave the EU at some point, but consider the consequences if we do it now— we'd most likely be handing the country from one pair of wankers (osborne and cameron) to an even bigger pair of wankers (boris and gove)...

Sorry to resort to name calling, don't set Dr Gonzo on me! ;]

zombie_rock123

The idea of leaving the Tories with more power scares the crap outta me.

Its amazing to listen to the Leave campaigners suggest the money currently going to Europe will pay for X many hospitals and X many nurses. We'll still have Conservatives in power and theyll still see the NHS as something to dismantle and sell.
I sometimes label builds rockwright
https://www.instagram.com/rockwrightfx/

sturgeo

I'm likey to vote stay and its primarily due to pedals and other musical equipment.
All of my parts come from either Mouser (with the fees prepaid) or Banzai/Musikding, due to EU membership i don't have to pay any additional tax or fees, same goes for thomann. If we leave i'm going to incur additional costs and delays whilst parcelforce or whoever demands i pay the fees.

I've also read some interesting "facts" about Norway and the EEA, supposedly Norway must (a) accept free migration of EU citizens, (b) contribute to the EU budget, and (c) comply with all EU rules but with no say in making those rules in order to have access to the single market.

Unfortunately the people leading the leave/stay campaigns aren't the best representatives but my gut feeling is if the PM & treasury are insisting we stay, then its going to be in the countries best interest to stay, they are the people with all the facts.