News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Aion Fractal (Pearl OD-05)

Started by Marshall Arts, June 12, 2016, 07:06:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Marshall Arts

having been busy with my own projects, I almost forgot, how rewarding it can be to build a pedal in a day from scratch, when somebody else has done almost all the work for you, including mod options, drill templates etc. So, I had this PCB lying around for probably a year or so and as it was raining today, I decided to give it a try with some components I had lying around. Graphics still to come...

I decided to to the following mods: 
- Modify Q (wider) with 6.8nF / 100nF
- Use a vintage JRC4558D for IC 2 (serial 6201 - I don't believe in mojo, but this one sounds good, and as I had it...)
- TL072IP for IC1
- Reduced minimum gain (R23 = 1k)
- 100kA for volume pot
- 10mm blue LED
- Second clipping section: BAT41 and 1N914

It sounds nice - many sounds on tap, sometimes it sounds almost like the the clean sound is blended into the overdriven sound. Not a high-gain thing, but great for bluesy tones or even a boost with the option to EQ to the resonant frequency of your guitar...

stringsthings

Tidy build.   Where did you get those knobs?
I like the big blue LED.
All You Need Is Love

gordo

Just finished this one myself and ironically the build I've been scared to finish is the Linda Looper. It's the next one up on the bench and a very anticipated build...
Gordy Power
How loud is too loud?  What?

Marshall Arts

Tnx. Knobs are from Musikding: http://www.musikding.de/Aluminium-Knopf-gerillt-10mm-schwarz. I drill these with a 6.35 mm drill and simply push them on the shaft. No set screw, but they hold very tightly! Great for 1590a builds!

Marshall Arts

<->

Matt

In the process of populating my Pearl right now. Glad I read your post because I forgot that I wanted to reduce R23.
Did you try the original q values? Which do you prefer
Matt

Marshall Arts

Quote from: Matt on June 13, 2016, 07:31:48 PM
In the process of populating my Pearl right now. Glad I read your post because I forgot that I wanted to reduce R23.
Did you try the original q values? Which do you prefer
I put the respective caps into sockets and tried some combinations. I like the wider Q better... Good luck!

Marshall Arts

Etching done, still need larger knobs, though...

Marshall Arts

Better knobs, now it's done.

artstomp

..i'm glad that mojo JRC4558 i sent you sounded good on that Pearl OD-05...

Marshall Arts

Quote from: artstomp on June 18, 2016, 04:06:09 PM
..i'm glad that mojo JRC4558 i sent you sounded good on that Pearl OD-05...
Haha, thanks! Yes, now it found a good home!