News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

We're out... (UK leaves EU)

Started by juansolo, June 24, 2016, 07:28:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

juansolo

I'm genuinely shocked and stunned. I expected it to be close, but not to go the way it's gone.

Bit dumbstruck at this and what it might mean for the future.
Gnomepage - DIY effects library & stuff in the Stompage bit
"I excite very large doom for days" - playpunk

micromegas

It's sad & scary Juan. And I don't speak only as a European living in UK.
If the Parliament finally decides to agree with the referendum (which is not legally binding), there are going to be major consequences (research programs, NHS, banking...).

David Cameron just resigned, let's see who is brave enough to trigger article 50.

One thing that bugs me is the kind of people that are gaining power with the referendum. Mr. Nigel Farage is asking now for a  'domino effect' in Europe...
'My favorite programming language is solder' - Bob Pease

Software Developer @ bela.io

alanp

My guess is that the EU is going to be preaching hard, in it's remaining member states.

If the new PM (or PM's, if it drags) refuses or drags his heels on Article 50, then I can see UKIP making hay of this.

Change is scary. What I always found hardest to believe in Star Trek or Mass Effect wasn't space magic like FTL travel or aliens, it was the base concept that humanity could agree on bloody ANYTHING long enough to form a parliament governing ALL of humanity!

I mean, the only reason the Imperium of Man could pull it off was firstly because of the constant xeno threat, and two, their military, commissars, and the Imperial Cult. And even then, I seem to recall mentions of worlds constantly trying to break away.
"A man is not dead while his name is still spoken."
- Terry Pratchett
My OSHpark shared projects
My website

29palms

Farage is already back pedalling on the 'we could spend £350m a week on the NHS' bullshit and we'll have an unelected right winger in no 10 by October, dark times ahead >:(

Muadzin

A sad day, my friends. And this is why referendums are bad. And why direct democracy had a bad rep for 2000 years after what happened in classical Athens. People are swayed by emotions first, actual arguments somewhere last.

Edit:

I just read that Scotland voted in favor of remaining, I wouldn't be surprised if the SNP would seize upon this to hold another independence referendum.

juansolo

Quote from: alanp on June 24, 2016, 08:57:00 AMChange is scary. What I always found hardest to believe in Star Trek or Mass Effect wasn't space magic like FTL travel or aliens, it was the base concept that humanity could agree on bloody ANYTHING long enough to form a parliament governing ALL of humanity!

I mean, the only reason the Imperium of Man could pull it off was firstly because of the constant xeno threat, and two, their military, commissars, and the Imperial Cult. And even then, I seem to recall mentions of worlds constantly trying to break away.

I put that down, and indeed most decisions down to most human's propensity towards greed and power. Willing to lie and connive to further their own agendas at the expense of others. Which pretty much describes all the bullshit that's surrounded the 'facts' in this referendum.

That said, ill advised or not, the people have spoken, this is a democracy, and we'll now have to live with the decision. Interesting times ahead!
Gnomepage - DIY effects library & stuff in the Stompage bit
"I excite very large doom for days" - playpunk

Adam_DIY

It'll be very interesting to see what happens but as I'm originally from N Ireland I've applied for an Irish passport just in case.  I'll admit I'm very concerned by Nigel Farage's policies I really don't think they stand up to close scrutiny.  As Juan said though it's a democracy and all we can do is hope it doesn't negatively affect the pound long term. 

midwayfair

:(

I am also shocked. The E.U. gives me hope that many different cultures can set aside their differences and work together. I know no one really knows exactly what will happen, but a conscious decision to stop working together with one's neighbors rarely has a good outcome.

EDIT: I just saw in the BBC summary that it has to be ratified by Parliament. Looks like referendums aren't actually legally binding. This may end up being a pointless exercise in polling.

matmosphere

Agree with you guys here. It's going to be interesting to see what happens now.

Coincidently, with Cameron stepping down we've got a guy that we'd be happy to send your way. Last I heard he was already in Scotland trying to drum up support for his golf course there. Maybe he'll come over to take charge for a while and help out. God knows he's done more than enough here in the states.

Actually, I wouldn't wish that on my worst enemy.

What is going on these days.

GermanCdn

I was quite surprised too.  Not only is change scary, but the thought of actually having to choose to change is scary.

Last year I thought we had it bad here when JT got elected, but with the pending division of the EU, either Hilary or the Don in the US, maybe we don't have it that bad (he says while gnashing his teeth).
The only known cure in the world for GAS is death.  That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

micromegas

Quote from: midwayfair on June 24, 2016, 01:06:31 PM
:(

I am also shocked. The E.U. gives me hope that many different cultures can set aside their differences and work together. I know no one really knows exactly what will happen, but a conscious decision to stop working together with one's neighbors rarely has a good outcome.

EDIT: I just saw in the BBC summary that it has to be ratified by Parliament. Looks like referendums aren't actually legally binding. This may end up being a pointless exercise in polling.

Referendums aren't legally binding in most places where there's Parliamentary sovereignty as far as I understand. There was a referendum in Spain in 1986 to leave the NATO and it went on with 52.5% of the votes (actually a little bit more, 52.5% of the population voted to leave, 39% to leave and the rest either null vote or abstention).
Guess what: we never left.
'My favorite programming language is solder' - Bob Pease

Software Developer @ bela.io

thesmokingman

not going to lie, my first thought was the much more favorable exchange rate ... sorry not sorry
once upon a time I was Tornado Alley FX

brucer

Quote from: micromegas on June 24, 2016, 07:42:28 AM
It's sad & scary Juan. And I don't speak only as a European living in UK.

If the Parliament finally decides to agree with the referendum (which is not legally binding), there are going to be major consequences (research programs, NHS, banking...).

David Cameron just resigned, let's see who is brave enough to trigger article 50.

One thing that bugs me is the kind of people that are gaining power with the referendum. Mr. Nigel Farage is asking now for a  'domino effect' in Europe...

Yep, as an outsider, it seemed to me that those campaigning hardest to leave were those that stood to gain political power if the vote went their way (e.g. Boris Johnson, Nigel Farage).  Worse yet, they carried the day by playing to the basest emotions of the electorate (jingoism, xenophobia, faux libertarianism) rather than believable arguments of post-Brexit impacts on the lives of voters.   

Poor pro-Remain Scotland is now in a real damned-if-you-do, etc. scenario re: triggering another independence referendum that could see them choosing between the UK and EU.

The only positive thing that I've seen so far were some very nice shots of SamCam at the PM's resignation!   ;)

jtaormina

This is causing my stocks to fall damnit.

EBRAddict

Quote from: thesmokingman on June 24, 2016, 03:15:04 PM
not going to lie, my first thought was the much more favorable exchange rate ... sorry not sorry

Fuzz Dog & Peak Electronics here I come...