News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

GFS - Now they got set-neck Strat and Tele finished bodies!!

Started by culturejam, July 26, 2016, 08:27:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

culturejam

Partner and Product Developer at Function f(x).
My Personal Site with Effects Projects

GrindCustoms

Killing Unicorns, day after day...

Building a better world brick by brick:https://rebrickable.com/users/GrindingBricks/mocs/

stringsthings

That's a terrific low-priced guitar project!   If I had some fret leveling tools, I'd be all over this.
All You Need Is Love

atreidesheir

Gotta love GFS copy.
It practically says we sold crappier ones last year and you wanted those.  So buy these!
Technically we are all half-centaur. - Nick Offerman

gordo

Gordy Power
How loud is too loud?  What?

Jebus

Surf Green Telecaster would be cool. Shame the shipping would cost more that the guitar..  :D :D

stringsthings

Quote from: gordo on July 26, 2016, 07:45:16 PM
Jumped on a top routed strat

Can you let us know how the fretwork is when it arrives?

Just visited the GFS website.  They have some nice bodies and necks for reasonable prices.
Makes me want to try a kit build.  It would make for a nice departure from the usual pedal/electronic builds.
All You Need Is Love

gordo

Will do.  I pretty much ordered everything I need.  I'm such a gear whore.  Got the top route with maple neck in surf green.  XGP tuners (the Slick ones with brass knobs), REDactive pickups (never played active before), chrome pickup surrounds, and a Wilkinson 2-point tremolo.  I love the paulonia bodies but I don't imagine a tremolo would work well on it.  I just wanted something a little different to justify buying another guitar :-)
Gordy Power

markeprice

99% of the guitar stuff you buy now is made in China, even if you go with an American made guitar, the components are probably not made in the US, so, that being said, there is crappy stuff that is made in China, and some pretty decent stuff.  I have purchased a few things from GFS and frankly, it is pretty good stuff.  If you get a neck or things like that, you are probably going to have to do a fret dressing job.  The fret ends are a little sharp and there is no dressing done, so, you get what you pay for, basically a decent item that may need a little TLC before you are done.   I like GFS.  I also got some good necks from edenguitars.com  I like them too, but same issue with the fit and finish.  You are going to have to put a little time and "elbow grease" into it.  If you do, you will have a great neck.   I am real interested in a set neck tele or something like that and the price is reasonable!  My two cents.
Cuz they's made for Giggin!
Mark Price: owner frogpedals.com

matmosphere

I bought a lil puncher pickup recently and am very impressed with it. My feeling is that it's got no business sounding as good as it does considering it only cost $30. I'll probably try out one of there necks on a future build.

Muadzin

Why is there nothing like GFS in Europe? With American shipping rates and European import duties GFS might as well be on the dark side of the moon.   :'(

m-Kresol

Quote from: markeprice on July 29, 2016, 07:52:22 AM
99% of the guitar stuff you buy now is made in China, even if you go with an American made guitar, the components are probably not made in the US

Fender US pretty much makes everything in California, eg pickups, tremolo blocks and they even stamp out the pickguards and small metal backplates themselves. They are buying fretwire and tuners I think.

Quote from: Muadzin on July 29, 2016, 11:49:44 AM
Why is there nothing like GFS in Europe? With American shipping rates and European import duties GFS might as well be on the dark side of the moon.   :'(

So true. You know of any decent place to shop for bodies/necks in our parts?
I build pedals to hide my lousy playing.

My projects are labeled Quantum Effects. My shared OSH park projects: https://oshpark.com/profiles/m-Kresol
My build docs and tutorials

gordo

Got the strat in and started working on it. Quite nicely done and will get some pics up tomorrow. It's a flat sided body, sort of like the Robin or Ibanez. The neck is glued in but appears to be a tight fitting strat pocket and glued instead of bolted. That allows the back of the joint to be sculpted.  Curiously taped and painted to hide the joint I think. A few strange design choices such as close proximity of the 5way switch to the volume control and a stippled tremolo cover but smooth control cover. I'm putting a Wilkinson bridge on it, which meant routing out a bit of the bridge opening. A little tricky on an already finished body and the finish is fairly thin and hard. The neck is nice with a thin gloss finish and the fret work is nicely done.
Gordy Power

stringsthings

All You Need Is Love

gordo

Gordy Power