News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

New Vinyl Day (NVD)

Started by flanagan0718, July 27, 2016, 10:00:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

flanagan0718

Got some AWESOME Vinyl today!

Cave In - Creative Eclipses (the orange one)
This Will Destroy You - Young Mountain (the one with the bear)
Deftones - White Pony
Caspian -Dust and Disquiet

These should provide many hours of listening!!! Thought you guys might like this!

-Mike-

alanp

Groovy :)

I picked up a copy of Bowie's _Black Star_ a few months back, and Kraftwerk's _Radioactive_. They're starting to re-release classic albums on HQ vinyl, now.
"A man is not dead while his name is still spoken."
- Terry Pratchett
My OSHpark shared projects
My website

selfdestroyer

GREAT selection of albums Mike.

Cody

m-Kresol

Dust and disquiet is an amazing album. you might have to listen to it a few times before getting all the small nouances of the tracks, but it's amazing. I love 'arcs of command'

of course "young mountain" is a classic and has a few tracks that are really nice to play along to.

my newest investments were "the earth is not a cold dead place" by explosions in the sky (they are coming to Vienna in october, totally awesome!!) and the premier album by "overhead, The Albatross". check them out if you like postrock.
I build pedals to hide my lousy playing.

My projects are labeled Quantum Effects. My shared OSH park projects: https://oshpark.com/profiles/m-Kresol
My build docs and tutorials

Muadzin

Here's a question for you vinyl heads. When you get a new album do you then re-record it digitally so it will always sound crisp and new the first time you play it, or do you keep on playing them, even when the records inevitably suffer the usual cracks and pops that vinyl records always end up with? And if the latter, why wouldn't you want to re-record it digitally? Wouldn't it still sound like an analog record being played on a turntable?

These are things that I wonder about. Or am I talking digital heresy here?

m-Kresol

I don't know, I just like vinyls better than CDs and I hardly ever buy digital-only music. I digitalized my CDs and then basically never touched them again (my stereo doesn't have a CD player, it's at least 30 years old). The vinyls, I play regularly. I don't own a USB vinyl player, so I don't digitalize them and most often you've got a download code for the album with it.
I know, it's kind of a hipster thing atm and is not really up to date, but I still like it. Has a certain old-school vibe to it. And it gives me an excuse to build a tube HiFi amp for the vinyl player  ::)

My projects are labeled Quantum Effects. My shared OSH park projects: https://oshpark.com/profiles/m-Kresol

matmosphere

Perhaps a vinyl thread (favorite, worst, whatever)is in order.

flanagan0718

Quote from: Matmosphere on July 28, 2016, 05:45:37 AM
Perhaps a vinyl thread (favorite, worst, whatever)is in order.

+1

Most new records do come with digital down load codes. So you can get a "free" copy. Maintaining records isn't as hard as it seems. With a decent brush and some distilled water your records will sound like new. There are cleaning machines but some of the better ones are over $100. Some people use the wood glue method. I want to try it on a crappy record a couple times before i try it on one of my good ones.
Personally i didn't care about vinyl until my wife got me a record player. Now I'm obsessed with it. Here is the list of records i bought in the last 6 months.

Nine Inch Nails - Pretty Hate Machine
Deftones - Gore (180 gram White)
Deftones - Koi No Yokan
Tool - Opiate
Poison the Well - III/III (limited 7")
Sound City Soundtrack
Senses Fail - Pull the Thorns From Your Heart (Limited Pink edition)
Funeral For A Friend - Chapter And Verse (limited Purple)

Plus some others that I can't think of... ;D

zombie_rock123

Vinyl related thread seconded. This Will Destroy you are awesome live but Im yet to pick up a record. Last I got was Thrice's latest offering and cant wait to give it a listen as last I heard was Beggars
I sometimes label builds rockwright
https://www.instagram.com/rockwrightfx/

flanagan0718

Quote from: zombie_rock123 on July 28, 2016, 08:12:57 AM
Vinyl related thread seconded. This Will Destroy you are awesome live but Im yet to pick up a record. Last I got was Thrice's latest offering and cant wait to give it a listen as last I heard was Beggars

Nice, I haven't been a huge fan of Thrice since Vheissu. But, talent wise, those guys are really good. Maybe I'll check out their new stuff. I still need to get a vinyl copy of Artist in the Ambulance! Such a great album.

m-Kresol

don't know if you heard, but Alex (drums) and Donovan (bass) actually left This will destroy you maybe two month ago. Shame, the new record was killer. The rest of the band, however, is continuing.

flanagan0718

Quote from: m-Kresol on July 28, 2016, 08:22:44 AM
don't know if you heard, but Alex (drums) and Donovan (bass) actually left This will destroy you maybe two month ago. Shame, the new record was killer. The rest of the band, however, is continuing.

That news did destroy me!  :'( ;) That sucks. I wonder if they (the drummer and bassist) have anything else lined up? I've always wanted to be in a band like that. Hence the obsession with pedals ;D

beneharris

Vinyls are awesome. I just preordered Heart of Akamon by Nechochwen the other day. I'm stoked for that one to get in. The last one before that was Opeth's Deliverance and Damnation. That is a heck of an album.

flanagan0718

Quote from: beneharris on July 28, 2016, 08:35:31 AM
Vinyls are awesome. I just preordered Heart of Akamon by Nechochwen the other day. I'm stoked for that one to get in. The last one before that was Opeth's Deliverance and Damnation. That is a heck of an album.

Orchid was one of my favorites for a while Opeth has some great stuff!

dan.schumaker

Glad to see a vinyl thread going :)  I've been into it for about 10 years now (I like to think I got into it before it got popular again  ;) )