News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Rocktron Heart Attack - GCFX Fluffgirl mods

Started by marmora, August 16, 2016, 03:27:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

marmora

Hi everyone,

I built a GCFX Fluffgirl a while back and really dig it. Well, someone came over to check out another pedal, asked about the Fluffgirl...they had to have it - and next thing you know I am feeling a little less funky.
I picked up a Rocktron Heart Attack because I had heard it was basically a Bassballs clone. Here is what I did to it to get it towards Fluffgirl status.

First, I wanted to add a volume control to balance out the boost from switching on the distortion.
R21 was replaced with a 50k audio pot. I did have to cut a trace between C4 and R21. Lug 3 wired to the negative end of C4, lug 2 to the point where R21 met C4 and lug 1 to ground.
I did not attempt to change the bypass switching, you may have to alter your wiring slightly if you do go with another switching method

R3 and R5 should be removed and replaced with one B5k pot for your Balance control. Wire the middle lug to one of the pads where the two resistors meet (follow the circuit traces). Wire one outside lug to the other pad where R3 was and then the other lug to where R5 was.

R12 can be removed and replaced with a C500k pot wired as a variable resistor and a 47k resistor wired in series connected to ground as your Decay control.

I hope my explanation made sense. Check out http://www.grindcustomsfx.com/product/gcfx-fluffgirl/ for the schematic and it will be more clear

The enclosure is easy to work on and take apart. All parts are through-hole. I had to place my new controls on the sides which I normally wouldn't prefer to do. I might have tried to be more patient and placed them elsewhere if I had 9mm pots in the values I needed, but I was too interested in the grimy sounds I could be making to wait for parts.

Hope this helps someone looking to give some love to what seems to be a sleeper pedal. Many thanks to the GCFX crew for sharing their very cool sounding project.