News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Dirtbaby

Started by 29palms, August 20, 2016, 05:12:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

29palms

Hi all, here's my successful Dirtbaby which apparently makes me a  'genius' lol, too much credit Madbean ;]

Anyway it went without a hitch apart from testing when at first I didn't realise I needed to hook up both sets of inputs/outputs, perhaps a note about that in the build report for us less gifted geniuses?

Even though this is really well designed too make the wiring easy, I can still make a pig's ear of it! I messed up the slam switch and had to redo it— too embarrassing to tell you what I did wrong  :-[

Finished with Posca pen over flourescent red acrylic.

great sounding delay, thanks Brian.

jimilee

Fantastic, really neat design.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.

Stomptown

Looks great!  I love what you did with the posca pen!

Lubdar

That came out looking great
(--c^.^)--c

stringsthings

Great build.

I've not heard of posca pens.  Did you do all the black by hand?
All You Need Is Love

darrenw6000

Good build man. That green led have to be in the circuit to work then?

29palms

thanks guys! Yeah I did the black by hand, was difficult to keep a steady line, I should probably cut down on the coffee ;]

The green LED is there to stop the pt2399 clipping I think...

stringsthings

Quote from: 29palms on August 21, 2016, 01:52:22 AM
thanks guys! Yeah I did the black by hand, was difficult to keep a steady line, I should probably cut down on the coffee ;]

Wow!  That's an excellent job.
All You Need Is Love

somnif

Quote from: 29palms on August 21, 2016, 01:52:22 AM
The green LED is there to stop the pt2399 clipping I think...

Pretty much! It's more or less pretending to be a zener diode. If the voltage stays under ~2.3V, the signal comes out of pin 7 and goes along its merry way to the rest of the circuit. If the voltage spikes OVER 2.3 though, it leaks through the LED to ground and prevents that nasty gravelly crackle of an overdriven '2399. Really clever trick really, and only costs 3 cents to implement (You can leave the LED out, won't change the rest of the circuit, but it solves one of the most common issues with the chip so why not?).

neandrewthal

Really cool! How did you protect the Posca paint after?

beneharris

Dude, one time when I first started getting into playing, I actually sent in a pedal for repair work because I was putting the cables in the wrong jacks. Input in output, etc. Nothing you could possibly do is any more embarrassing than what everyone else has done.

That is a really cool build. Good job!