News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Droidhug compressor - quick build report

Started by matmosphere, August 23, 2016, 08:45:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

matmosphere

Just thought I do a quick report, mostly just to say how impressed I am with the sound of this pedal. I've never had a comp that I was happy with, but this one is subtle and adds a bit of jangle. Thanks Jon, it's a great circuit.

Also have to give a shout out to monkeyssj1 for some DIY inspiration. Thanks for the hand drawn etch idea. This will not be my last.

midwayfair

Aww, God speed little droid. (Pours one out.)

matmosphere

Quote from: midwayfair on August 23, 2016, 10:19:31 PM
Aww, God speed little droid. (Pours one out.)

Exactly, I was just sitting down to draw a panda on the enclosure when I heard about Mr Baker.

stringsthings

Very nice.  What kind of knobs are those?

I like the offset 3PDT and the countersunk LED.
All You Need Is Love

matmosphere

Quote from: stringsthings on August 24, 2016, 03:03:37 AM
Very nice.  What kind of knobs are those?

I like the offset 3PDT and the countersunk LED.

I found the knobs on Amazon. they are inexpensive but they do the job and look pretty nice imo.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00CQLORZ0/ref=mp_s_a_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1472010056&sr=8-1&pi=SY200_QL40&keywords=uxcell+knob&dpPl=1&dpID=417HvUEdXPL&ref=plSrch

Thanks for the compliment, it was my first try with a countersunk led but it turned out well enough. For whatever reason I have never put the stomps in the middle, usually so I've got a little extra room to squeeze in some artwork.

The etch didn't turn out as well as I hoped, but I'm happy with it as a first try. It's definitely not the best looking pedal I've made, but I ended up jumping into etching without doing much research. I've got high hopes for the hand drawn etch thing.

stringsthings

Thanks for the heads-up on the knobs.  Think I'll get some at that price.

For your first etch that's pretty good.  Much better than my first etch.  I've recently started etching and I've found that prepping the enclosure
makes a big difference.  Currently, I'm sanding the enclosure like crazy before toner transfer.  I'm guessing that when the iron meets the flat surface,
there's a good even transfer of heat/pressure and the transfer goes very smoothly.  I know there's the school of thought that sanding a bit rough gives the toner something to "grab", but I've had good success sanding the aluminum super smooth.  It does take a lot of elbow grease, so I spread out the work over time.
All You Need Is Love

29palms

that came out really well, looking forward to see how you get on with this etching technique next time;]

m-Kresol

Nicely done and you're really good with a pen. If I tried to hand draw a R2D2 it would turn out to be a potatoe for sure. Also looking forward to your progress with electro-etching.

Quote from: stringsthings on August 24, 2016, 04:07:30 AM
For your first etch that's pretty good.  Much better than my first etch.  I've recently started etching and I've found that prepping the enclosure
makes a big difference.  Currently, I'm sanding the enclosure like crazy before toner transfer.  I'm guessing that when the iron meets the flat surface,
there's a good even transfer of heat/pressure and the transfer goes very smoothly.  I know there's the school of thought that sanding a bit rough gives the toner something to "grab", but I've had good success sanding the aluminum super smooth.  It does take a lot of elbow grease, so I spread out the work over time.

Yep, sanding is essential. I got the best result after I had to redo the whole thing after etching, so I had to sand the hole thing down a lot and the surface was even. I go up to 600 grit, which is sufficient. I recently got a triangle sander, so I don't have to do it manually any more :)
Also I use a rubber roller to go over the print instead of applying pressure with the iron. Heat - roller, than repeat a few times.
I build pedals to hide my lousy playing.

My projects are labeled Quantum Effects. My shared OSH park projects: https://oshpark.com/profiles/m-Kresol
My build docs and tutorials

matmosphere

Thanks guys, I think I'm going to try another in the next day or two. I'll post the results.

Quote from: stringsthings on August 24, 2016, 04:07:30 AM
makes a big difference.  Currently, I'm sanding the enclosure like crazy before toner transfer. 

That makes a lot of sense! Thanks.  I jumped into this head first so I didn't think to try and sand down the enclosure first.

m-Kresol

If we only consider the etching process itself, it shouldn't be necessary to sand the enclosure. As we apply a lot of heat for the toner transfer we'll have an oxide layer again, which is pretty resistant to the etchant.
In your case it could be benefecial, as you don't heat it up for applying the etch mask. etching will only take a bit longer without the sanding.

sanding is however crucial for a good toner transfer...
I build pedals to hide my lousy playing.

My projects are labeled Quantum Effects. My shared OSH park projects: https://oshpark.com/profiles/m-Kresol
My build docs and tutorials

matmosphere

Quote from: m-Kresol on August 24, 2016, 03:37:44 PM
If we only consider the etching process itself, it shouldn't be necessary to sand the enclosure. As we apply a lot of heat for the toner transfer we'll have an oxide layer again, which is pretty resistant to the etchant.
In your case it could be benefecial, as you don't heat it up for applying the etch mask. etching will only take a bit longer without the sanding.

sanding is however crucial for a good toner transfer...

Damn, it looks like sanding the enclosure didn't do me any favors. Attempt two is underway and I've already seen some paint flake off. I'm guessing that the paint pen didn't stick as well to the smooth enclosure.

Just started, so we'll see where this goes.

stringsthings

Ah, I forgot that you were using paint pens.   Sanding is really important for the old toner tranfer with an iron.
It may not be so important with paint pens.   
All You Need Is Love

Aleph Null

The etch may not have turned out how you envisioned, but it's a very distinct and interesting look. If you hadn't said anything, I would have assumed it looked that way on purpose.  ;D

Boba7

Quote from: Aleph Null on August 29, 2016, 09:18:49 PM
The etch may not have turned out how you envisioned, but it's a very distinct and interesting look. If you hadn't said anything, I would have assumed it looked that way on purpose.  ;D

Agree, I think it looks fantastic, and original.

matmosphere

Thanks guys, I appreciate the compliments. Really I was just hoping it would be a little deeper so that I could paint it, but overall I'm pleased with it. It's on the board and with the way it sounds it'll probably stay there for a good long while.