News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Total Recall

Started by selfdestroyer, August 27, 2016, 07:08:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

selfdestroyer

I got this PCB from Jason (Jubal81) in a trade. He had it populated with 4 MN3008's and was not very happy with it. He's not a delay user and just could not meld with it. I don't normally use populated PCBs by other people but Jason did a great job building it and him and I have some of the same parts we use. I removed the daughter board and mounted it in the enclosure. I went with the standard wiring diagram.

I got some of the Xive MN3005 in the Cabintech group buy when these things were hard to get and I am glad I did. They sound great in this thing. I am really happy with it and can not wait to run it through its paces over the next few months. My hopes are that this will keep my vintage DMM off my board so I do not have to travel with it.

I did a reverse etch with some artwork from John Dyer Baizley (Kvelertak cover). Always loved his artwork. Im not 100% happy with the knobs and may swap them out. I tried a few and these are the only ones I had on hand that did not look "terrible". I am up for suggestions or comments on the current ones.

Gut shot:

Cody

jimilee

First off, jason knows his stuff, I'd be proud to have one of his populated boards also. Etch is beautiful, simple chrome knobs will probably set it on fire, the white ones you have covers some of that awesome etch. Nicely executed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.

matmosphere

That is a great looking pedal. I keep wanting to hold out for Brian's tap tempo analog delay project but the Total Recall gets more and more tempting.

Let us know how you're feeling about it once you get to put it through the paces a bit.

lincolnic

I also have a Total Recall with MN3008s that I'm considering swapping for MN3005s, have you noticed a meaningful difference? I built one with 3005s for my studio and it seems to be less noisy at max delay times, but I'm not sure if that's caused by the variance in other components.

stringsthings

Very nice.  The knobs do cover some of the etch which is a shame. Very tidy build.

Just finished my first reverse etch.  It's a lot of work !  Etches in general take a lot of work,
and reverse etches take even more !  :D   All kidding aside, the results of a nice etch are very satisfying.
I haven't even put any parts in this latest enclosure ( or put on clearcoat )  and I'm super happy with it.
All You Need Is Love

m-Kresol

amazing level of detail. Another one to be proud of
I build pedals to hide my lousy playing.

My projects are labeled Quantum Effects. My shared OSH park projects: https://oshpark.com/profiles/m-Kresol
My build docs and tutorials

culturejam

She's a beaut, Clark!  ;D
Partner and Product Developer at Function f(x).
My Personal Site with Effects Projects

Stomptown

Looks great Cody.  I agree with Jimi. A set of Chrome/AL knobs would look really cool on this one.  Have you sat down and A/B'd it with your vintage unit?

Boba7

Stunning. A really incredible work.

I agree about the chrome knobs.

brejna

Clean inside out! Really love it

wgc

always the beautiful answer who asks a more beautiful question.
e.e. cummings

Bret608

Wow is right! Looks awesome. I'd also recommend aluminum knobs for this if you have some.

I got a populated Bloodstone from Jason a while back. I agree; if it's done by him it's totally worth using a pre-populated board.

selfdestroyer

Thanks everyone. I tried some smooth aluminum knobs first and they felt to small for the large enclosure but I will try them again and post a photo back. See what everyone thinks. I really want aluminum knobs to work out because I agree, they would look great.. its just a matter of finding the right ones.

Quote from: culturejam on August 28, 2016, 08:22:15 AM

Thanks Eddie ;D

Stomptown

Quote from: selfdestroyer on August 29, 2016, 09:42:59 AM
Thanks everyone. I tried some smooth aluminum knobs first and they felt to small for the large enclosure but I will try them again and post a photo back. See what everyone thinks. I really want aluminum knobs to work out because I agree, they would look great.. its just a matter of finding the right ones.

Quote from: culturejam on August 28, 2016, 08:22:15 AM

Thanks Eddie ;D

The larger sized diamond knurl aluminum knobs from small bear come to mind as a good option (although a bit expensive).

jtaormina

So I'm starting to use GIMP for editing artwork for more advanced etching and I'm curious your steps for changing the original photo from John Dyer Baizley to something acid friendly. Just some conversion to black and while with a color inverse?

Edit: GD autocorrect killed this post. I fixed it now. Thanks for replying Cody.