News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Small single conductor shielded wire?

Started by Drew Hallenbeck, September 26, 2016, 06:47:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Drew Hallenbeck

Where can I find some?
Seems like whenever I search for the stuff, the best thing I find is smallish sized coax cable.
I've used some and made it work well enough but it's still way thicker and stiffer than I'd like.
I've installed new pickups and re-worked the electrics in plenty of guitars. I've removed some stock wiring that uses single conductor, shielded wire and it's not much thicker than comparable standard hook-up wire. So, I know the stuff exists.....
I haven't been able to find anything quite like it anywhere. I'm not sure if it's something that might be manufactured as a special order item or.........
I'd like to find a good source for this stuff so I can use it for my input/output connections just as an added precaution in preventing noise. Would also work well for some cases of off-board wiring. Anywhere the conductor would have to pass close to other parts of the circuit where noise could be induced.
So, does anyone else use SMALL shielded wire in their builds?
If so, can you point me in the right direction?
Many thanks!
Building with my daughter and occasionally selling as "Daddy Daughter Pedal Works"
Not for any real profit, just trying to have a self-funding hobby.

Leevibe

I've always used RG-174. It's around 1/8" diameter and you can find it everywhere. I'm pretty sure smallbear has it. I've seen smaller diameter stuff before, but I don't know where to find it.

Drew Hallenbeck

https://www.pasternack.com/images/ProductPDF/RG174A-U.pdf

Here's a link to a random spec-sheet that I pulled up on Google.
I think the stuff I've been using is probably the same as this (or close)

The wire I've seen come out of a couple of guitars is only about half the overall outside diameter.
The layer of "dielectric" in the coax is what sucks about using it.
I'll see if I still have any scraps of the hook-up wire from an old guitar. Maybe I can snap a picture of it along with the coax for a good side-by-side comparison.

The coax works, don't get me wrong. It's just that if I had the option of using something half the diameter and a lot more flexible.......
Building with my daughter and occasionally selling as "Daddy Daughter Pedal Works"

Drew Hallenbeck

Maybe I'll snag some of the stuff from Smallbear with my next order.
Could be better than the stuff I have now which was the smallest diameter I could get from Partsexpress.

davent

"If you always do what you always did- you always get what you always got." - Unknown

If my photos are missing again... they're hosted by photobucket... and as of 06/2017 being held hostage... to be continued?

Drew Hallenbeck

Quote from: davent on September 26, 2016, 07:59:58 AM
I've used this kapton/teflon (can't call it that anymore) shielded, very small diameter, very stiff.

http://stores.ebay.com/Johns-Silver-Plated-PTFE-Wire-Shop/Shielded-Wire-Coax-/_i.html?_fsub=3966787&_sid=155009&_trksid=p4634.c0.m322

dave

Wow, that looks a lot better! And a fair bit less than 2mm
When you say "very stiff" I'm guessing you mean it keeps its shape easily after it's bent? Kind of like using solid vs stranded hook-up wire?

davent

I haven't 'bent' it per say, think gentle curves. I think it's because of the kapton sleeve, his plain teflon (PTFE) should be more compliant. Pictured above is 26awg.

dave

edit;
The two left hand leads wrapped in Techflex are  the shielded ones.

"If you always do what you always did- you always get what you always got." - Unknown

If my photos are missing again... they're hosted by photobucket... and as of 06/2017 being held hostage... to be continued?

Drew Hallenbeck

Very tidy indeed!
Thanks for the suggestion. I'll add it to my list of things to try.

Govmnt_Lacky

Beware of kapton wiring....

The outer coating tends to flake off and get very messy.

davent

I'm still using the roll i bought in late 2007, early 2008 from the linked supplier and it hasn't changed. Just as nice as the day it arrived and in the projects it was used in back then, no change.

dave