News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Mod Wigl for tapanator

Started by Luke51411, September 26, 2016, 09:04:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Luke51411

Do you think it would be worth it to build a wigl with ability to connect to the tapanator or would it mostly cover the same ground as the phaser/tremolo designed for the tapanator?

madbean

Well, "worth it" is pretty subjective. Here are some things to consider -

The Phaser is 4-stages and the Wigl is two. So, the Phaser is likely to be a little more lush than the Wigl and you can sub in the Univibe value for the phase shift caps. The Wigl is different in that the LFO does a decent job of emulating the "lilt" of a Univibe LFO. However, I don't see any reason you could not emulate that with the Tapanator by adjusting the waveform to sine or triangle and then using the Distortion pot to swing the output some. So, it might sound very cool but I don't know that it would be a world of difference.

Modding the Wigl to work with the Tapanator is a bit more work. You have to remove LED3 from the PCB pads it connects to entirely and have it connected to the external jack you would use for the Tapanator. On the Wigl, LED3 connects between R17/18 and ground, whereas with the Tapanator, the LED would need to connect to the tip and sleeve aof the external jack (the cathode of the LED goes back to the associated transistor in the Tapantor instead of ground).

Luke51411

Great info, thanks! I think I'll get the Tapanator and the other three effects going first and see if I want to go for it.