News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

'Clickless' Bypass circuit that doesn't loose signal

Started by PhiloB, October 10, 2016, 05:30:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

PhiloB

Anyone have a project out there that allows use of a momentary switch that doesn't drop audio?  My brief searches turn up complaints about signal loss when depressed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

sturgeo

Do you mean clickless as in a soft touch switch or clickless as in no pop, from any pedal, ever?
If the later I don't know of any, the reason it can remove all pops is because it temporarily mutes the signal, typically using an opto isolator such as the TLP222G or the H11F1M.

flanagan0718

Hey Phil,
I would check out the Coda FX blog. He has a tutorial on how to program an EPROM to use with a momentary switch. It's a really good write up. If I wasn't on my phone I'd post a link for you.

m-Kresol

I build pedals to hide my lousy playing.

My projects are labeled Quantum Effects. My shared OSH park projects: https://oshpark.com/profiles/m-Kresol
My build docs and tutorials

PhiloB

That's a great article!  Does that design still suffer from the X00ms signal drop?  Anyone know?  Or is the signal drop inherent in a relay bypass?

flanagan0718

I think because of the relay there is no signal drop.

m-Kresol

I don't know why a relais should have a signal drop. It's basically just a switch that is operated by an inductor, which is in this case again controlled by the microcontroller. The relais switch is just a mechanical bridge in any case.
I build pedals to hide my lousy playing.

My projects are labeled Quantum Effects. My shared OSH park projects: https://oshpark.com/profiles/m-Kresol
My build docs and tutorials

pickdropper

I think it's because some of them have a brief mute to prevent popping sounds.  People assume popping goes away with the soft touch switch, but it doesn't always. 

Function f(x)
Follow me on Instagram as pickdropper

PhiloB

PhiloB

Muadzin

Quote from: pickdropper on October 10, 2016, 09:25:23 AM
I think it's because some of them have a brief mute to prevent popping sounds.  People assume popping goes away with the soft touch switch, but it doesn't always. 

Aye, sometimes there is no eliminating the annoying buggerd, no matter what you do. But I suspect the problem then is somewhere in your signal chain, not the actual switch itself.

gordo

I've used Josh's but haven't had issues with optical either. Relay is instant, optical has a delay but haven't noticed an issue with either. Optical delay hasn't been an issue. Most amps (Crate and Fender being the most noticeable) have far worse lags.
Gordy Power
How loud is too loud?  What?

gtr2

What's the application?  Effects bypass or something like a stutter switch?
1776 EFFECTS STORE     
Contract PCB designer

PhiloB

Application is effects bypass

gtr2

A relay bypass is the best option as it's mechanical contacts like a standard switch.  (Maybe better)
NO signal loss  :)  I've never had a complaint with the Finish Line.

Josh
1776 EFFECTS STORE     
Contract PCB designer