News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Harbinger One skinny board

Started by gordo, November 13, 2016, 06:22:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gordo

Finally got my Harb One built. Not boxed yet and will send over some pix when it is but just wanted to note I had no issues with this, or any of the thin boards I bought. Sounds very nice. I have a hand etched Forum Vibe, a Duo Vibe, a ROG tri-Vibe, and a Voodoo Lab Vibe and they all sound different but good. Too many choices. Pangea gets finished next. Obviously my fave effect.
Gordy Power
How loud is too loud?  What?

jimilee

Quote from: gordo on November 13, 2016, 06:22:18 PM
Finally got my Harb One built. Not boxed yet and will send over some pix when it is but just wanted to note I had no issues with this, or any of the thin boards I bought. Sounds very nice. I have a hand etched Forum Vibe, a Duo Vibe, a ROG tri-Vibe, and a Voodoo Lab Vibe and they all sound different but good. Too many choices. Pangea gets finished next. Obviously my fave effect.
There can never be too many, only not enough!
Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.

gordo

And some pix.  Nothing too fancy here.  I made the light block from some very fine copper.  Waterslide decals.  My only issue with the pedal, and I haven't had the time to chase it down, is that the rate LED stops flashing about half way down the rate knob.

Gordy Power

Timko

+1 on the same issue with the rate LED. I have one of the normal thinkness boards, so I think it's more of a circuit or component thing.

Timko

Good looking pedal too. I have those exact same knobs and am considering them on my recent build. The sound is to die for.

gordo

Agreed, I really like the sound of this.  Buffered and unbuffered is subtle but nice addition.  I thought maybe a crappy transistor on the LED and of course this is one of the few times I didn't socket.  If you're having the same problem then maybe not.  Are you running it with 18v or the charge pump and 9v.  I'm going with the 9v option.
Gordy Power

fredwreck

I like the way you recessed the LEDS with a starter bit I assume?.. Nice.

Leevibe

Papyrus? Strangely enough, I think you're pulling it off here. This looks really nice! I need to go populate mine. I'll be curious to know if you figure out the rate LED.

gordo

Ha!  Hadn't even associated the font with the scroll-like texture of the unfinished box.  More of a happy accident...
Gordy Power

warriorpoet

Quote from: Leevibe on November 26, 2016, 10:00:38 PM
Papyrus? Strangely enough, I think you're pulling it off here. This looks really nice! I need to go populate mine. I'll be curious to know if you figure out the rate LED.

What's Next? Comic Sans?!?!  ;D ;D ;D

Very nice looking build. I bet it sounds INCREDIBLE.
Mzo.FX, Owner

gordo

So Spenzerleehorton came up with a rate fix that works.  Replace c22 with a 10uF cap.  The original is a 1uF.  Works like a champ and an easy fix.  Downside, and there always has to be, is that the LED doesn't gradually fade in and out, its pretty much on or off.  I'd spend more time troubleshooting a cool fix for this but the bottom line is the damn pedal sounds great and I'm good with the LED as is.

Fixed.
Gordy Power

midwayfair

I was really mystified why people were having problems with the LED because I didn't realize Brian had gone to a buffered LED driver, but I'm surprised this issue isn't more common -- the C22/R55 low-pass filter is only 7 Hz! Way too high for an LFO! Making C22 a 10uF is one way, probably even easier to make R55 a 1M or higher.

Leevibe

Quote from: midwayfair on December 30, 2016, 05:45:49 AM
I was really mystified why people were having problems with the LED because I didn't realize Brian had gone to a buffered LED driver, but I'm surprised this issue isn't more common -- the C22/R55 low-pass filter is only 7 Hz! Way too high for an LFO! Making C22 a 10uF is one way, probably even easier to make R55 a 1M or higher.

Finally started populating mine. I'll mess with R55 when I get that far and see if that solves it. I would want more of a pulse than a blink, so I'd be willing to compromise a bit if need be.

gordo

Yeah, let me know what you come up with.  As I said the pedal sounds great and I'm not really worried about the LED since it's for my board.  I have to admit though, a fade-in fade-out LED is too cool.
Gordy Power

Axeman