News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Seattle visit suggestions

Started by Luke51411, November 21, 2016, 08:15:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Luke51411

So I'm going to be in Seattle from the 29th of Nov through 4th of December. I've never been there before and looking for suggestions for things to do beyond the normal tourist stuff. I'd also be open to meeting up with any local forumites as well!

flanagan0718

Drive up to Vancouver. It's a 2-2.5 hr ride and it's a far nicer IMO and cheaper too.

midwayfair

We were just there last month, and Lexa's usually pretty good about picking stuff that isn't touristy ... So here's what we did:

We loved the EMP museum for the Star Trek exhibit. It would be worth going to see that if it's still there. It had a ton of context and wasn't just "here's some stuff from the show." The horror exhibit was also awesome.

A walk along the sound was really nice if it's not too cold.

I also liked Elliot Bay Book Company. They had a very impressive translations selection in the literature section. But it's nothing like Powell's (in Portland) in terms of scope and size, so I don't really know if I'd consider it a destination.

We ate at Poquitos one night and it was legit. Brave Horse Tavern also had a cool beer menu, if you're into hops. They have single-batch stuff made from recent local harvests. They had some interesting local ciders, too, but there is at least one bar with something like 100 ciders ... I feel like if I'm going to drink in WA it should be made out of apples, and I don't care for hoppy beers. Their fried food was a cut above. We also did Pike's Place Market. There's a tea/coffee store hidden in there with some actual good stuff.

lars

You need to check out Uwajimaya, 600 5th Avenue South, Seattle, WA 98104. If you like food from Japan, China, Hawaii, Philippines, Korea, or Thailand...they have it all there.
Yep. I clicked the, "continue without supporting us" link....

Luke51411

Quote from: lars on November 21, 2016, 05:43:52 PM
You need to check out Uwajimaya, 600 5th Avenue South, Seattle, WA 98104. If you like food from Japan, China, Hawaii, Philippines, Korea, or Thailand...they have it all there.
Oooo perfect, I'll have to remember that!