News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Yet Another Duplex Drive- with improvements!

Started by warriorpoet, December 05, 2016, 06:51:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

gordo

You know, in all the excitement I forgot to mention...killer build.  Those knobs alone are worth major points.  I'd been watching this build just on aesthetics but got caught up in tweaks.
Gordy Power
How loud is too loud?  What?

dondougie

Thanks for the cap suggestion! I changed C5 to 100pf and now the pedal is actually useable :D The SS2 side seemed awfully bright before, especially in comparison to the G2, but now they are perfectly balanced.
I have AA113 diodes in there right now and CV7127's on order to try and see if those sound any different. Maybe it's because I only tried it at bedroom volumes, but the pedal does seem to lack gain with AA113's. Silicon diodes sound too muff-like and boomy, so we'll see.

Leevibe

Man, that is a stunner! Your friend's son is going to be floored. Points for the pushback wire. That looks killer.

warriorpoet

Quote from: DonDougie on December 13, 2016, 06:21:57 AM
Thanks for the cap suggestion! I changed C5 to 100pf and now the pedal is actually useable :D The SS2 side seemed awfully bright before, especially in comparison to the G2, but now they are perfectly balanced.
I have AA113 diodes in there right now and CV7127's on order to try and see if those sound any different. Maybe it's because I only tried it at bedroom volumes, but the pedal does seem to lack gain with AA113's. Silicon diodes sound too muff-like and boomy, so we'll see.

Awesome!

Man, you should have told me about needing CV7127s, I'd have been happy to ship you some measured and matched ones :)
Mzo.FX, Owner

dondougie

Quote from: warriorpoet on December 13, 2016, 03:18:18 PM
Awesome!

Man, you should have told me about needing CV7127s, I'd have been happy to ship you some measured and matched ones :)

Thanks man! Can't thank you enough for fixing this circuit! my CV7127s arrived today and I had to try them first thing after work:

These are the perfect diodes for this circuit! Where most germaniums lack gain or sound sterile and silicons are too compressed, these really hit the sweet spot!

Now it sounds just like the demos and I can finally box and label it :D This was one of my most wanted pedals, feels good to have it finished! Thanks again :D

Philthy

lovely build - just put a build report up for one of these myself. I used your mods and it sounds great.
question:  where is unity volume on the SS2 for you? mine is about 1 'o'clock.
Cheers

warriorpoet

Quote from: Philthy on December 22, 2016, 06:56:34 PM
lovely build - just put a build report up for one of these myself. I used your mods and it sounds great.
question:  where is unity volume on the SS2 for you? mine is about 1 'o'clock.
Cheers

Thanks!

Unity is about the same, depending upon sustain.
Mzo.FX, Owner