News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

2016 build roundup

Started by Willybomb, December 15, 2016, 06:53:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Willybomb

I don't think I'm going to get to box up any more builds this year, so I thought I would be first to post my 2016 roundup.  It's been fairly constructive.

Hyperactive Hyperdrive (Kingslayer, Gainster, Boneyard (later swapped with a Purple plexi 800 on vero when the Boneyard died), Dual Booster (Brian May Treble Booster, Crackle Not OK), Harley's Hammer (Afterlife)

Shinei Echo Master modded to true bypass, replaceable fuse, and illuminated power switch.

Krankosaurus replaced with Crunchbox and Crackle Not OK.

Cleaned up my Little Angel.

Deadringer V1

One knob gate on vero from Tagboard. Great on dirty sounds, makes clean sounds sound a bit crackly.  This would be better in a noisy dirt box that gets bypassed with the rest of the pedal.

Some jfet distortion project I found on the Tagboard forums.  Like it a lot, added a marshall tonestack and LPB1 after it.

Crunchbox and Cranked AC.  Left switch toggles between the two, right switch is box bypass, so no stacking.  Might make a version of this in a DD with a toggable treble/SHO booster in front.  Very nifty box, and the Crunchbox is one of my favorite dirts, while I use the Cranked AC for beatles style jangle/chime.  It's a close call between my Boneyard, HT-dual, and Crunchbox for my favorite dirt, so close.

Stealth - Smoothie phaser, Glam chorus, Mimik with added tap, Equinox II reverb.  Might replace the Glam with a Porkbarrel one day.

Not really a pedal, but I modded a Peavey HP to have a Dimarzio Megadrive, Duncan JB, 3 peizos (one under the floyd baseplate), with a preamp and lpb1 booster.  Volume pushpull splits both humbuckers, tone pushpull swaps the middle pickup out for the peizos.

Gutted a crappy distortion pedal and replaced it with a Rabbithole to Green Russian specs.

Things that didn't get completed this year:
Direwolf - A modified 7th Heaven (with charge pump and a few substitutions)
A Timmy/Zendrive box (Zimmy? Zeetee?)
Genuine Fake - A YJM 308 build.
Terminus V2 - multicab sim plus a few other bits.
Wampler Sovereign
Stank.
Porkbarrel.
Bloviator needs boxing.  Might go in Terminus v2.

Leevibe

You got a lot more done than me, my friend.

m-Kresol

Great builds all around. you definitely have been busy this year. I'll probably do a conclusion thread too before the holidays.
I build pedals to hide my lousy playing.

My projects are labeled Quantum Effects. My shared OSH park projects: https://oshpark.com/profiles/m-Kresol
My build docs and tutorials

Willybomb

I'm looking forward to everyone else's roundups too.  Better to look at some creative things to remember 2016 by than some of the other things that marked the year!

alanp

I've been spectacularly unproductive this year. Only the Nameless Flanger, and Heavy Water 2.

(*Synth* stuff, on the other hand...)
"A man is not dead while his name is still spoken."
- Terry Pratchett
My OSHpark shared projects
My website

Muadzin

Nice looking builds. I especially like how you got your artwork, I assume decals, to fold nicely over the edges.

sonnyboy27

That's a pretty impressive lineup. How do you go about doing graphics?

Also, I'm definitely gonna start using "Toggable" in my every day vernacular.

Willybomb

Graphics:

Usually done in photoshop, using the hardware graphics library to place pots and things in layers.  I think the only one to use board mounted pots is the Hyperactive Hyperdrive with the Kingslayer and Boneyard boards, so that used the drilling template in the build docs for pot placement.

Krankasaurus and Little Angel used iron on inkjet T-Shirt transfers.  Haven't had any luck with them sticking ever since.  Uncountable coats of clear as the transfers suck up the clear.

The dual booster is inkjet photopaper stuck on with spray adhesive.  Because it's waterproof it doesn't take many layers of clear, only 2-3, to finish it.

The rest are just regular inkjet sticker paper. Many, many, many coats of clear because this stuff soaks it up like a sponge, and the black ink sometimes repels the clear so you have to keep applying it until it gives in.  You also need to do the top face of the enclosure in a white undercoat as the sticker paper becomes translucent and lets the black undercoat show through, diminishing the graphics.  I'll undercoat the whole (drilled) enclosure with black etching primer, mask off the sides and spray the white, apply the sticker, cut out the holes with an exacto knife, apply the clear.

Once it's hardened, I'll cut it back with some 1800 grit wet/dry paper (used wet) and use a polishing compound.

I tried waterslide decals, but my edges would always lift, so next time I'll try that with some PVA glue in the water.. 

cajone5

What a year...

1776/Midwayfair Cardinal Trem v2

Madbean Kingslayer

A couple vero Sonic Titans

Haberdasher/Madbean Harmonic Percolator

Aion Flare w/ mods (Super Fuzz Factory)

GuitarPCB Industrial Fuzz w/ mods (Fat Fuzz Factory)

Tayda 1-knob Fuzz (Colorsound Fuzz Box Clone)

Dminner labor trade #1 - Space Trash (Casper Echobender)

Dminner labor trade #2 - Wormhole - DeadAstronaut Tremshifter

Cornish G2 (modified), Madbean Slow Loris, GuitarPCB EA Trem and TBP looper w/ Switchable 1776 Klon Buffer

Looper

EA Trem

Madbean Zero Point SDX Delay

Lost gut shot?

GuitarPCB SWAW Clone

1776 Rub-a-dub Reverb

No pics but also built the following...
-- Madbean mood ring with added modulation
-- Lovepedal COT clone
-- GC Temple of Giants fuzz
-- GuitarPCB wooly mammoth fuzz clone

Wow, I think that's everything.  Pretty crazy considering this was all done in the second half of the year.  My building has definitely tapered off but I've got a bunch of things in the works already for next year.

Leevibe

Quote from: cajone5 on December 20, 2016, 06:53:47 AM
What a year...

Wow, you did some very nice work this year, and a lot of it! You should definitely post a new thread with all this stuff so more people get the chance to see it. Well done man!!