News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Mammoth electronics now doing their own pots!

Started by darrenw6000, December 18, 2016, 03:14:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

darrenw6000

16mm pcb mount, long & short pin, lugged 55 cents each!

flanagan0718

Just saw this. I might have to order some of those long pin ones

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Leevibe

I saw those too. It's hard to imagine there's any room for quality in that equation. I'm sure I'll give them a try on a personal build at some point.

Ralfg

I've been using these and so far the quality seems pretty good. Price is great! And no tab to break off, which I like.
Dr. Von Fuzzbrauer @ Rocket Surgeon Effects Pedals
https://www.smallspacesband.com/

flanagan0718

So these pots are not the greatest. I had to pull apart the Wave machine i just finished because one of them was acting up. It was shorting internally and causing the pedal to act very strangely. Now normally this wouldn't cause me to bail on a part that a supplier has but this was a MASSIVE PITA. I'll stick with BLMS and Tayda for pots. Just my experience.

-Mike-

matmosphere

Quote from: flanagan0718 on January 24, 2017, 05:26:51 AM
So these pots are not the greatest. I had to pull apart the Wave machine i just finished because one of them was acting up. It was shorting internally and causing the pedal to act very strangely. Now normally this wouldn't cause me to bail on a part that a supplier has but this was a MASSIVE PITA. I'll stick with BLMS and Tayda for pots. Just my experience.

-Mike-

That's a bummer to hear. I was looking forward to trying these out.

I've never had trouble with tayda pots either.

flanagan0718

Quote from: Matmosphere on January 24, 2017, 06:30:27 AM
Quote from: flanagan0718 on January 24, 2017, 05:26:51 AM

-Mike-

That's a bummer to hear. I was looking forward to trying these out.

I've never had trouble with tayda pots either.

I would say try them for them. Especially for the price! My experience was with a large tight build so it left a bad taste in my mouth, that's all.

Fndr8875

I read a post about this and if i remember correctly sev people said they were using them, and they were the same as alpha, the look slightly different, Im sure in some way they are made out of a cheaper material either the metal or the carbon resisive track or the wiper, also the more bulk you buy the cheaper you get stuff. and its impossible to miss but they have cut there selection waay back, to the point it seems like the want u to buy enclosures and pots first, the figure youll get this or that since your already making an order from them. But i was on there last night, they carry 15 ic s, thats pretty small compare to what they used to, or say SB. Never counted how many they used to carry but ne way just me 2 cents

cajone5

I tried some.  So far they worked fine but they have very little resistance when turned compared with the pots I typically use from Tayda that are similarly priced.  Not sure why but the stiffer pots from Tayda feel more sturdy.  I'm not sure I will be ordering more from Mammoth at this point...

Interested in others thoughts on using them too...

Govmnt_Lacky

Primarily I use Alps potentiometers. They turn more freely than the Alphas but they are.... by far... a superior quality pot than the Alphas.

I am not knocking the Alphas as I have used them several times as well... just saying that the ease of turning is not a sign of quality or durability  ;)