News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

smoothie zener diode

Started by Fndr8875, December 21, 2016, 07:13:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fndr8875

I got one, im waiting for trim pot, had to go with a 200k instead of 250k, fig that will work ok. In the pdf it says click here to download prev version. So i was looking at it and it said you can use a 10k resistor in you didnt have the zener diode. I can get one at radioshack but id rather use the 10k if it will yeild the same result. Also im gonna be using lm1458s, any idea how those will work vs tl072s. I know original mxr phasers used 741s and 1458 is a dual 741. Lastly if one didnt have a rev 500k, what is next best? I have A500k, B500k, A1m, B100k basically everything but a c500k. since it looks like only lugs 2 and 3 are used i guess you cant wire an A500k backwards, its working like a variable resistor is this correct? really appreciate any replies. really wanted to build this for a while but was put off by the trim pot, the speed pot, matched fets, etc. Luckily i got the last set 1776 had in stock, 2 matched 2n5457s plus 1 for 7 bucks shipped. just waiting on trim pot...

midwayfair

The zener is there to provide an EXACT voltage. It's used as a voltage regulator.

The resistor method will approximate the effect assuming you have a 100% reliably regulated supply voltage for the pedal. MXR can't guarantee that, especially with people who use a battery. You also can't guarantee that if you ever change power supplies in the future. So you might have a regulated 9V supply now and get a 9.49V one later (like the difference between the Voodoo Labs and One Spot).

Will it break the pedal when you do that? Probably not, but it might sound different. It will always sound the same once set up if you use the zener.

jimilee

You still have a RadioShack!?!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.

Fndr8875

haha, hells yea...where else would i get my $5 single blue LEDs....but they do have Fe Cl, lm741, tl082s, 15 packs of 3904, 4401,2222s for 4 bucks, the crappy spring sockets, and switches when you just cant wait im my experience at least 4 buisness days. I will say i love there resistors, the leads are perfect. Even what ive ordered from small bear, mammoth, etc still feel a little flimsy. they got a 500 pack for 15 bucks. or you can get 5 packs for 1.50. Over all most there stuff is a joke but for few common items its nice to have a physical store to go to if i need a dpdt switch or run out of etchant. there pricing though is all over the place. you can get 4 nice quality boss style knobs with brass around inside and set screw for 3 bucks, or like i said 1 blue led is 5 bucks...ne way they got a slot for 5.1 zeners but lately the times ive been in there parts drawer is pretty low, or shit is just shoved where ever and you gotta sort for 20 min to see if they even got it. Im in Little Rock, ar. This is first board i have ordered from Madbeans but ill def be putting them at top of list, i really like the pcb and documentation and it shipped from Nashville i think so i got it in like 2 days. Every other place has taken at least a week. I have a one spot power supply, or true tone i guess they changed there name , And yea it reads 9.45v when i measure poower. Thanks for replys!