News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Mojo One Knob Fuzz (Vero) | 4-Track Tape Fuzz (GuitarPCB)

Started by cajone5, January 11, 2017, 06:07:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

cajone5

First two builds of the year already in the books. 

"Mojo" One Knob Fuzz
I have had this on the books for ages and finally got around to it.  It looks cool and is surprisingly versatile for just being a one knob job.  It is based on the meathead with switchable caps (vero layout from tagboard).  I already posted it for sale as I have built a bunch of similar fuzzes and kind of feel like I've outgrown this circuit and don't see it living on my board, unfortunately.  It's an awesome sounding fuzz but I'm into more crazy fuzz sounds (MKI, fuzz factory, etc.) and my 2017 goal is to fund a new guitar with gear I don't use and downsize!
In/out caps are tropical fish and I have some cool old axials on the little vero.  Finished it off with a monster 10mm red LED and kept it in the raw enclosure as I just liked the unfinished look.  Oh and it's got all top jacks.  I still haven't found a good template for these and have just given up and started eyeballing my hole centers.

Tape Fuzz
Next up, the guitarPCB 4-track fuzz.  This has been in my PCB drawer for months and another of my 2017 resolutions is to complete all my projects I have before embarking on new ones.  I will say this one sounds really cool and unique and the EQ is super versatile for getting thick wooly sounds or more cutting sounds.  My only complaint is that it currently only sounds good (to me) with the fuzz cranked.  I'm going to try some other IC's this weekend to see if something else sounds better or gives me more range on the fuzz control.  I think this one is a keeper for me though.  And it's my first try at stamping a pedal.  Not bad although the offset of the top two control labels (volume and fuzz) is already driving me a little crazy.  Ah well.  Oh and this is another raw enclosure.  Maybe less is more in 2017?

Hoping to knock out a few more this weekend.  I feel like it's been weeks since I completed anything but I made a of progress in that time.  I'm hoping to have a producting Jan/Feb and knock out most of my PCB drawer and then take a much needed break.

zombie_rock123

Super clean in and out. Love the stamps, they fit the demo tape fuzz perfectly!
I sometimes label builds rockwright
https://www.instagram.com/rockwrightfx/

Tremster

rumbletone

Nice! What process do you use for the stamps - for example, common stamp pad ink and clear coat over top?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bluescage

hoodoo

Very tidy mate. Do yourself a favour and get a couple of different size metal rulers and a sharp pencil. Lay the ruler against the side of the box where your holes are to go, on a flat surface, draw a line, turn box over and do the same, this will give you your centre line, no guess work involved. An adjustable metal square is also a must. You can set the ruler to the  measurement you want, and once again on a flat surface with the square against the box, it will give you the same distance either side. Hope this made sense  :)

m-Kresol

awesome builds. though they are in unfinished boxes, they have a cool vibe going. The one knob fuzz is extremely well built, very soothing to look at for some reason ::)
I build pedals to hide my lousy playing.

My projects are labeled Quantum Effects. My shared OSH park projects: https://oshpark.com/profiles/m-Kresol
My build docs and tutorials

cajone5

Thanks for the kind words everyone!  Feels good to knock pedals out at the start of the year.  I had about 10 mostly finished ones on the bench and the end of last year and plan to wrap most of them up this month.  I'm still a hack at finishing the outsides but the insides are starting to become second nature which is nice :)

Quote from: rumbletone on January 11, 2017, 05:53:39 PM
Nice! What process do you use for the stamps - for example, common stamp pad ink and clear coat over top?

This is my first one, so no process yet.  I use stamps someone here sold that are basically little individual letter stamps.  To get them in a straight line I line them all up and just use painters tape to hold them together so I can stamp them all at once.  This keeps spacing consistent (assuming the stamps are well made).  I used staz-on ink as it seems to be pretty permenant.  I've tried Color Box ink as well and it didn't work as well (tended to smear).  The stazon seems to dry and hold pretty well.  Ideally I would clear coat over it but didn't on this one.  When it's for me, I tend to be lazier.  One thing to watch with clear coat though is finish.  If you used a gloss finish, it'd change the appearance of the pedal (bare aluminum is more of a matte finish).

m-Kresol

what kind of wire are you using? I find that the one I use bends to easy especially when using pincers/pliers to insert them into the switch lugs. the multiple bends kind of make it less neat
I build pedals to hide my lousy playing.

My projects are labeled Quantum Effects. My shared OSH park projects: https://oshpark.com/profiles/m-Kresol
My build docs and tutorials