News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Finished this vibrato this week

Started by cloudscapes, January 06, 2017, 07:26:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cloudscapes

So I had started this six months ago, prototyping hardware and software, but only had the inspiration to finish it this week.

PT2399 modulated delay line with microcontroller. Several LFO shapes with smooth blending between each-one. Also a dedicated knob to blend in either high or low frequency random variation, depending on which direction from center you turn the knob. Depth, speed and mix knobs are self-explanatory. Also relay bypass switch and tap tempo.

A couple hidden features! If I hold down the tap switch for more than a second, I can "trim" a sort of skew into the LFO using the random knob. Also by holding down the bypass switch for more than a second, I can "draw out" a custom LFO using the shape knob by twisting it for up to a few seconds. It sort of records that knob twisting and plays it back as a new LFO. Speed and depth work with it as normal, and it resets to the normal default LFO shapes if I twist the shape knob again for more than a few degrees (to prevent accidental erasure by knocking the knob). The "reset" is still a bit buggy, I have to fine tweak the code.

Color is a bit too yellow. Was going for more of a moon/bone color.

An older video of the sounds. Settings are extreme, but it can do subtle too.

Video showing off some of the software work I did, blending between LFO shapes and morphing/skewing.

Bonus photo, this is how I usually draw the designs that go on my pedals (or otherwise). Watch movies and doodle!

Kartoffelkopf

m-Kresol

This is amazing! I was always astonished by your builds. So much function and style.

So, you are telling us that you hand-draw all your designs??

and how do you do you paint jobs?
I build pedals to hide my lousy playing.

My projects are labeled Quantum Effects. My shared OSH park projects: https://oshpark.com/profiles/m-Kresol
My build docs and tutorials

cloudscapes

Thank you!

Quote from: m-Kresol on January 07, 2017, 01:58:42 AM
So, you are telling us that you hand-draw all your designs??

and how do you do you paint jobs?

Mostly, yes. Occasionally if I'm really lazy I'll use some artwork I like, but 9 times out of 10 it's my own drawings.

In the case of this one, I was however inspired by this, drawn by somebody else:
https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/736x/76/1f/6f/761f6f12a1b746629683d505256d119c.jpg

I was already set on a crescent moon and a bird skull with dangly stars on strings. I was searching for bird skulls to use as reference and came across it! I liked the idea of the flowers and the dangly strings was close to what I always draw, so I kind of "reinterpreted it". I can't claim originality on this one.

m-Kresol

thanks for the clarification. you are one talented man; I wish I had that kind of creativity, ingenuity and artistic capability.

This should have been in the BOTY contest!
I build pedals to hide my lousy playing.

My projects are labeled Quantum Effects. My shared OSH park projects: https://oshpark.com/profiles/m-Kresol
My build docs and tutorials

raulduke

Awesome work dude.

I've seen your other work and it's inspiring.

you have a really really cool aesthetic.

Leevibe

So many levels of cool going on here

zombie_rock123

Wow. Thats just. Jeeeez. Your builds I came across on DIYStompboxes were mindblowing and this is no different. Youre one of the main reasons I own many microcontrollers and have next to no idea what the hell to do with them!
I sometimes label builds rockwright
https://www.instagram.com/rockwrightfx/

wgc

always the beautiful answer who asks a more beautiful question.
e.e. cummings

beneharris

That is REALLY cool. Stupid question, but how do you hook up to it to change code, or update it?

cloudscapes

Quote from: beneharris on January 07, 2017, 07:31:51 PM
That is REALLY cool. Stupid question, but how do you hook up to it to change code, or update it?

A little hard to see, but there's a little 5-pin header between the micro and the chip in the center.

beneharris

Quote from: cloudscapes on January 07, 2017, 09:36:38 PM
Quote from: beneharris on January 07, 2017, 07:31:51 PM

A little hard to see, but there's a little 5-pin header between the micro and the chip in the center.

Thanks I see it now. I figured there would have to be one.

Boba7

Absolutely beautiful, in every way.

That's a pedal I'd definitely love to build at some point!

Thanks a lot for sharing, it's amazing.

bluescage