News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Tuna Head drive

Started by Leevibe, January 07, 2017, 03:38:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Leevibe

This started life as an EHX Hot Tubes nano that was on the fritz. It was owned by a kid at my church who was wondering if I could fix it for him. I wasn't able to troubleshoot it, and it was all SMD anyway, so I asked him if he would want me to put an overdrive circuit in there instead.

I didn't tell him that I was going to customize the exterior too. Anyway, it was more of a pain than I expected trying to get everything to fit right.

The fish and TH logo is a reference to the band he's in, called Tuna Head. They fancy themselves to be a punk band, so I tried to give it that kind of feel a little bit.

Not super proud of the wiring, but it's serviceable. The only thing that I didn't get done was grounding the enclosure. That's owing to the cliff jacks and me kind of forgetting. I figure if he runs into RF, he can crank the gain and go with it. It's punk after all.

midwayfair

If you haven't given it back yet, you can ground the enclosure by looping some wire around the input jack where it contacts the enclosure and then screwing the jack back on.

Leevibe

Quote from: midwayfair on January 07, 2017, 03:56:51 PM
If you haven't given it back yet, you can ground the enclosure by looping some wire around the input jack where it contacts the enclosure and then screwing the jack back on.

I knew someone was going to say that! Yeah, I know. You're right. It's not like it's a hard fix.

beneharris

That looks really good, Lee! Your builds are always impressive!

jubal81

Now that's snappy! Looks like it belongs in there. Sure he's gonna be really happy with it.

What's the circuit, BTW?
"If you put all the knobs on your amplifier on 10 you can get a much higher reaction-to-effort ratio with an electric guitar than you can with an acoustic."
- David Fair

bluescage

Looking good. I don't think the wiring is so bad.

Leevibe

Quote from: jubal81 on January 07, 2017, 10:53:01 PM
Now that's snappy! Looks like it belongs in there. Sure he's gonna be really happy with it.

What's the circuit, BTW?

It's a simple Timmy-ish OD.