News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Recommendations for MBP PCBs at Mouser?

Started by Isaiah, January 08, 2017, 08:36:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Isaiah

Hi folks,

Just wondered if are particular brands and ranges of components that are available from Mouser that work well with MBP PCBs.

I use Xicon resistors, Alpha pots, Soundcraft 1/4" sockets. No problems there.
IC sockets are also pretty standard.

Capacitors are a different matter though.
Physical size, voltage rating (I understand this, but it's just another search criteria), leg spacing etc.
Anyone care to share a brand/model so that all that needs to be done is select the correct value, please?

Cheers!

Willybomb

Someone had their Mouser BOMs/Shopping carts up for download somewhere - search the forum for that if it'll help.

BrianS

If you google capacitors for effect pedals you will get more information than youll probably ever want.  There are serveral threads on here where people have asked the same thing.  From my reading on this as long as you purchase good quality capacitors Nichicon, Panasonic, Vishay, etc...  i.e., the brands they sell at Mouser you'll be good.  Some of the guys use audio grade electrolytic caps in there builds, some use them only in the audio path and some just use caps that the build doc calls for without regard if it's audio grade.  Some guys buy all the build items from Tayda and things workout ok also.  The only time I have used something other than what is the least expensive capacitor from Mouser (using those brands I mentioned above) was when the build doc called for an audio grade or specific type capacitor. Of course I am old and half deaf so whether I had an audio grade cap some where or not I really don't know if I would hear it LOL.  It really seems to depend if you want to spend the extra $ to get a better cap or not.  And I've heard this said many times also "It's an effect pedal, not part of a spaceship" (maybe not exactly that way but that's how I interpreted it).  So getting things down into the finite may not be necessary.  And if I am wrong in my summation here someone with much more expertise than me will chime in.  Good luck with this great hobby.

madbean

Almost anything from this link:
http://www.mouser.com/Passive-Components/Capacitors/Film-Capacitors/_/N-9x371?P=1ywtgm3Z1z0z7l5Z1z0x6frZ1z0x6d8Z1yzsworZ1yzswonZ1yndoy8Z1yx4avvZ1yx4avuZ1yx4atuZ1yznbzrZ1z0vn48Z1z0juplZ1z0juqsZ1z0wtowZ1z0vhz5Z1z0wuod

General target is 5mm lead spacing, poly film, 50 or 63v (100 usually okay depending on the size). Then go by price. The link above is already sorted for the basics I listed.

Isaiah

That's exactly what I was hoping for.
Thanks Brian!

Thanks to everyone else, too.