News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Duplex Drive (Blackhorse) | Shoe Gazer (flanagan0718)

Started by cajone5, January 13, 2017, 03:01:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cajone5

Well, I haven't been too inspired to do anything with outsides lately.  More focused on getting all my partial projects complete this month.  Here are two more in bare aluminum enclosures.  They both sound really great and will likely see some significant use in the future.

Blackhorse Duplex Drive
This is a Cornish SS2 into a (tweaked?) G2.  I did the suggested mods in the other build thread.  My first 2min with it (quick test after build) I thought it was too bright. However, I played it last night and think it's great as-is.  Tone fully CCW and it's a bit too dull and there's plenty of bright on tap so my preferred settings lie somewhere in the middle half of the knob sweep.  Win!  Isn't it odd how this happens sometimes?  I wish I understood why my ears seem to change all the time.  It's a good confirmation that if you suddenly don't like a sound you're making, give it a day or two off and try again.  You may be surprised.  Anyway, it's got a green LED on the SS2 and blue on the G2 and they both sound really nice.  Definitely a good amount of gain on tap with both circuits.  Not as dynamic as I hoped but it sounds really good.  It'll definitely be a front runner for my main OD/Distortion.

Shoe Gazer Fuzz
This is a clone of the Devi Ever shoe gazer.  This is my first experience with her stuff and it's definitely cool.  Flanagan did a great job on this board too!  It's laid out really well and I had zero issues building with it.  It has some crazy fuzz sounds in there.  I am looking forward to playing it along side my fat fuzz factory (std 5 knobber with fat switch) and super fat fuzz factory (8 knobber with fat switch and switchable ge/si Q1 transistor) to see if I can duplicate it on those.  If I can, I'll stick with the fuzz factory.  If not, this one will likely be a second stringer that I add in on occasion like several of my other fuzz pedals.

flanagan0718

These both came out great! Thanks for the compliments. Glad you had fun with it. Clean guts too!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

warriorpoet

Killer!

TBH, there's something about a simple plain box that makes me smile. Nice job!

What diodes did you settle on for the Duplex?
Mzo.FX, Owner

cajone5

1N270's and 1N60's like the build doc although my Tayda 1N60's don't look like they're real Ge to me.  They sound good though, so I can't complain too much.  I plan to try some others in place of the 1N60's though.  I don't have many other Ge diodes though unfortunately.

bluescage

Boba7

Yeah, bare aluminum with a good choice of knobs is always a winner for me. They look perfect, inside and out.