News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Wanting to build my own Power Supply!

Started by michaelvaneck, January 13, 2017, 03:15:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

michaelvaneck

Hello everyone!

New here and recently started building my own pedals and I love it :)
Now I'm going crazy about those 9V batteries and I'd like to build my own power supply.
Doesn't have to be crazy, only needs to power around 4 pedals.

Are there any vero schematics available that I can use?
Searched around on google but found alot of different ways that they create those power supplies.

Components are no problem for me cus I have em at work haha

Thx!

midwayfair

There are almost no exceptions to the rule that you can buy a power supply for far less money than you can build, and unless you have really good tooling you are probably going to build a less durable piece of equipment that gets plugged into the wall and can kill you.

That said, start reading here and make sure you understand a good portion of it before you start messing with stuff that CAN KILL YOU: http://www.geofex.com/Article_Folders/Power-supplies/powersup.htm

Did I mention that a power supply involves mains voltages and can kill you?

Still here? Okay. Weber sells a couple transformers that will give you multiple isolated 12V taps, which can then be regulated to 9V (or 9.49V if you're clever).

Were your eyes glazing over when you read this? Are you cheap like I am? Then might I suggest a One-Spot at a 5-pedal daisy chain. It's what I use, and have been using since I think 2010.

galaxiex

Yep, Building a power supply and using it without getting killed....

Can be very educational and good to know about such things...

I LOVE building gadgets of all kinds.... but power supply's.... meh.... been there, done that...

Waaaay more fun for me to build a circuit of some sort and actually have if work the way I want..... 8)

I'm with midwayfair, I just buy a One-Spot and be done with it.
Fear leads to Anger, Anger leads to Hate, Hate leads to Suffering.

davent

I built one eventually in my glacial manner. Had all the parts on hand but just couldn't seem to get to it so in the meantime so i could power my pedals i bought a One Spot, much, much cheaper option. I now have a very cool multiple, isolated outlet supply that i very much enjoyed building sitting on the shelf and still use the One Spot instead.

There are plans, a centennial anniversary project maybe...

dave
"If you always do what you always did- you always get what you always got." - Unknown

If my photos are missing again... they're hosted by photobucket... and as of 06/2017 being held hostage... to be continued?

michaelvaneck

Okay read through it. Thx will just buy one!

Thank you for the reactions. I value my life lol don't wanna f#$( around with such dangerous stuff.

Will prob buy 1 One-Spot :)

Can it handle 4 pedals daisy chained?

m-Kresol

I built one myself too and I designed a pcb for it. still involves a lot of wiring and in the end I got a chunky thing that works, but was still less functional and more expensive than most commercial ones.

If you want to continue building pedals, you'll soon run out of power adapters with a one spot. In my opinion, I'd just go ahead and buy a bigger one now and be done with it for a foreseeable time. can't really beat the prize of this one: https://www.thomann.de/at/harley_benton_powerplant.htm

no idea, where you're from and if something similar is available there.
I build pedals to hide my lousy playing.

My projects are labeled Quantum Effects. My shared OSH park projects: https://oshpark.com/profiles/m-Kresol
My build docs and tutorials

Willybomb

I built one as I had my own set of needs - 16vAC@1A, plus a stack of 9vDC.

It's cheaper than a cioks AC10, and about 5 times the size. Search the forum for Sloppy if you're interested.

Otherwise... I run the following off a single 1spot:

tuner, compressor, klon, gainster, cranked AC, crunchbox, smoothie, glam, mimik, tap tempo, equinox 2, buffer, passive TMB eq, lpb1, cabsim, balanced xlr linedriver (in five enclosures. Thats my grab and go board).

I've tried a generic 9v adapter, the 1spot is significantly quieter.

bluescage

I also use the 1Spot and run 10 FX boxes on it with a daisy chain. It's quiet and not expensive!

Leevibe

Midwayfair is right. I built the Geofex Spyder. It was a lot of work and expensive. It works great but it's pretty big and heavy. It's not something I would do again. Having said that, I know the feeling of having my heart set on a project. Most of what I build is impractical. Good info on Geofex.

davent

My build was a take on the Spyder as well.

Last i heard R.G was removing the Spyder info from Geofex. Haven't checked to see what's left.

dave
"If you always do what you always did- you always get what you always got." - Unknown

If my photos are missing again... they're hosted by photobucket... and as of 06/2017 being held hostage... to be continued?