News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

White Noise on new builds

Started by dan.schumaker, January 13, 2017, 05:54:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dan.schumaker

So here is a weird issue I am running into.  On my last two builds, I am getting some weird white noise.  I have the hiss on a Klon I modded and on the Electric Druid Digital Delay.  The white noise gets quieter as I lower the volume pot on the pedal, and comes back when I turn it up.  I tried different pedals through the same cables/amp and didn't get that issue, just on my last two builds (so I don't think that its inherent to the pedal).  The last pedal I finished with no hum was on 1/3, but since then I have found the hum.  What is weird is that the Klon didn't have that hiss, and when I changed out a capacitor, I am getting that noise now.

The signal still comes through the pedal, it just has that annoying white noise behind it.  And the noise is constant as well, it doesn't only show up when played.  The pedals have been tested on two separate one-spot adapters, and no other pedals have this issue, only these two.  I have a few more boards soldered up and in the cue, so I am wondering if they will have the same issue as well.

So I guess my thought process is:  Its been really cold in the shop for the last week or two when I was doing some work, could that be a cause of the problem?  I am thinking that its so cold that it is causing "cold" joints or not letting the solder flow as well, letting some white noise in?  I have worked on projects all through the winter the last few years and never ran into this issue, so it has me a little perplexed.

Anyone have any ideas?

Scruffie

Were you using them both on the one spot when you tested two one spots? The Klon has a charge pump and the digital delay is well, digital, you might be getting some sort of heterodyning or other digital noise (digital pedals don't always daisy chain well) try them alone with nothing else attached to the power supply if you haven't already.
Works at Lectric-FX

dan.schumaker

I tested them both seperately.  When tested, they were the only pedal in the chain, and the only pedal on the one spot.

I just find it odd that my last two had this issue, something i have never ran into before.  I have a few more I hope to finish tomorrow (rangemaster and tone bender), so I will be interested to see if the same thing happens.