News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

madbeans smoothie

Started by Fndr8875, January 13, 2017, 09:43:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fndr8875

madbeans smoothie , i think version 2, has the white mask

soldered it up and it worked before i installed in enclosure. still working just seems a touch off...

A few components that were slightly different that BOM, i posted here and on DIYSB to ask if the subs would work, first reply was from Steve from smallbear who confirmed, except for one thing, im using a 500k log wired backwards, he said itd work but taper would be ccw and may feel a bit off, which i knew.

200k trimpot instead of 250k

4.7v zener diode

LM1458 philips opamp

3.3m resistor instead of 3.9m

Matched 2n5457s from 1776, it was 2 matched and a third one for their cardinal tremolo.

Everything works just fine, the sweep feels even its just backwards, but the sound just feels a little off. The best way for me to describe it is it doesnt have the texture of a phaser, kinda sterile and a mix between a phaser and a vibe. I built a magnavibe a while back and it was pretty sweet, and ive owned a phase 45 while back and that is the best way i can describe it. I could upload a clip but it would be through my irig hd and amplitube and it doesnt sound the same so it wouldnt help.

Also i was curious oneday so i started swapping fets, i found two j201s that worked, one unused one from smallbear and one i pulled from a $10 dod deathmetal pedal i bought from a pawnshop a while back when i first started building specifically to practice desoldering and just to see what was in it. ive kept them inplace because they sound better than the matched 2n5457s i bought.  My first thought is the op amps, the reason i used the lm1458s is i saw in the original phase 90 lm741s were used, and 1458 is 2 lm741s. Should i order some tl72s? Also ive tried to research exactly how the 3.9m resistor does in terms of the tone of the pedal but i couldnt find anything. Im sure i came across some technical info but i couldnt translate that into how it would effect sound. Sry for the lack of knowledge, i wish i understood things as well as many of yall, but some of thoery behind electronics just makes my head hurt.

Any replies greatly appreciated!

oh parts wise all but a couple values were radioshack 1/8th watt carbon film, i find radioshack resistors to be quite nice.
the few others, i think the 470ks and couple others were random 1/4th watt metal film. 2 10nf were the grey box film tayda, and 2 were some nice multi layer ceramics, i measured and all were spot one, 47 nfs, 3 are the green mylar film, 1 is metal film box , i didnt measure these. the electros were one 10uf and 47uf were from cheapo assorted pack from amazon, but measured spot on, and the other 10uf that is right by the trimpot and zener and opamp is nichinon low profile audio grade, the gold and black colored ones. i did pull it off another board it measured spot on to but has small esr which i looked up and was in range for this exact cap. anyway just wanted to provide all info.