Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Madbean's "kits" are all stolen from Freestomboxes

Started by culturejam, January 14, 2017, 09:48:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

culturejam

http://freestompboxes.org/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=28028

;D

I had no idea that all these years, the kits I've been buying from Madbean were really just stuff he took from Freestompboxes.   ::)
Partner and Product Developer at Function f(x).
My Personal Site with Effects Projects

zombie_rock123

"I do get mixed feelings when madbeaners come here..." - What in the hell does that even mean? Are we a motorcycle gang and I didn't get the memo?

I'm hesitant to post on the internet at the best of times, not least of all because I've got little technical knowledge to contribute, but folk like that are a reason I've zero drive to post on the big two forums. Lookie here, we got some outta-towners 8)

"He must have learned a lot of stuff here and is now selling his pcb's from all this info."  Is "Here" the internets?
I sometimes label builds rockwright
https://www.instagram.com/rockwrightfx/

culturejam

Quote from: zombie_rock123 on January 14, 2017, 10:12:40 AM
"I do get mixed feelings when madbeaners come here..." - What in the hell does that even mean? Are we a motorcycle gang and I didn't get the memo?

Don't waste any energy worrying about that guy. You won't ever figure him out.

Quote from: zombie_rock123I'm hesitant to post on the internet at the best of times, not least of all because I've got little technical knowledge to contribute, but folk like that are a reason I've zero drive to post on the big two forums. Lookie here, we got some outta-towners 8)

FSB has always been a frosty sort of place. The owner sets the tone from the top down.
Partner and Product Developer at Function f(x).
My Personal Site with Effects Projects

zombie_rock123

Thanks for the informed opinion, completely out the loop with other places. Very happy with my forum choice. A++, would post again  ;D
I sometimes label builds rockwright
https://www.instagram.com/rockwrightfx/

Adam_DIY

I joined madbean and FSB at the same time and I've learned a hell of a lot more here than I have from fsb.  I like the atmosphere here and how willing people are to lend their expertise to complete noobs like me.

m-Kresol

there will always be people like that out there on forums. they just assume things without checking facts, like the "selling kits" thing. and even if Brian learned a lot on FSB isn't that the whole point of a community like that? isn't it amazing that some people actually go ahead and make this their main job and actually live off it? I for one am greatful for all Brian has done for the community as I will always prefer manufactured pcbs (that are also verified) over home-etched or vero layouts. it makes building easy, fun and clean.

thanks peterc (I know you're around here too) for stepping in over at FSB and clarifying stuff. I hope someone will take note of that. Someone could recommend to the original post over there to write an email to Brian, although I have to admit I couldn't find it on the homepage anymore.

To add to the other commenters: this is the only forum I entered and I couldn't be happier about it. this community is the best. I've seen people going out of their way to help others, it's unreal how much this community cares for one another. keep it up guys!
I build pedals to hide my lousy playing.

My projects are labeled Quantum Effects. My shared OSH park projects: https://oshpark.com/profiles/m-Kresol
My build docs and tutorials

raulduke

That is a nice vignette of fsb imo...

The place has kind of stagnated from what it was (from what I can tell anyhow).

Could be due to the slightly hostile atmosphere of the forum...

alanp

Quote from: culturejam on January 14, 2017, 11:01:24 AM
The owner sets the tone from the top down.

This tends to be the case with all forums.

FSB always seemed to me to be a bit clique-y. "We're the reverse-engineering Che Guavaras of the pedal world! Fight the power! Circuits want to be free!"
"A man is not dead while his name is still spoken."
- Terry Pratchett
My OSHpark shared projects
My website

madbean

gordo

I take serious offense to the whole thing, but attacking the music?  Please.
Gordy Power
How loud is too loud?  What?

juansolo

It's a shame really because FSB is an awesome resource, always has been. I always point noobs towards here and BYOC, and always carefully recommend FSB with the caveat that it can be a bit hostile for no reason that I can actually fathom.

This particularly baffling post doesn't surprise me in the slightest and it's best to just ignore it rather than get involved IME. Life's too short to argue with people on an internet forum.
Gnomepage - DIY effects library & stuff in the Stompage bit
"I excite very large doom for days" - playpunk

m-Kresol

gordo, the fact that you lurked around since 2010 on fsb and your first post there was to defend MBP and this forum warms my heart and pretty much says everything about the attitude around there.
Thanks!
I build pedals to hide my lousy playing.

My projects are labeled Quantum Effects. My shared OSH park projects: https://oshpark.com/profiles/m-Kresol
My build docs and tutorials

thesmokingman

there's a lot of information to be had there but the tone is rather catty as evidenced by this thread ... I don't know why they hate it when people outgrow their particular kiddie pool ... and I really don't know why they loathe other people's success.
once upon a time I was Tornado Alley FX

juansolo

I joined there in 2009 and have 48 posts to my name... I'm quite a chatty chap (mostly) also. It's just not an environment I feel particularly welcome in.

DIYSB is similar (81 posts) but for different reasons. Everything being in one forum that gets insane amounts of traffic and is impossible to find things in being the big one.

BYOC (690 posts, actually quite interesting this!) I only stopped using because I throttled back on my forums and I prefer here as it suits my attitude more. But that place is friendly.
Gnomepage - DIY effects library & stuff in the Stompage bit
"I excite very large doom for days" - playpunk

jkokura

Man, I was tempted to set the record straight, but in the end, I don't think anyone over there really cares to hear it.

Jacob
JMK Pedals - Custom Pedal Creations
JMK PCBs *New Website*
pedal company - youtube - facebook - Used Pedals