News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Project Ideas for NOS parts

Started by bassybeats, May 09, 2017, 03:52:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bassybeats

Hey team,

Just wondering if anyone has any cool ideas that I could use any of this silly amount of NOS vintage caps for?

Old wah's? amps? (I have used the mustards in Marshall clones in the past )

Photo attached. Cheers

samhay

How about a passive tone control with a rotary switch to select different caps?
You could add a transformer as an inductor to go down the Varitone route if you wanted to get fancy.

Muadzin

Are the old electros still good? I always thought that electros degraded over time.

midwayfair

My honest answer: See those to people who insist on historical accuracy if you aren't doing restoration work, and buy modern components. Keep a handful and build a colorful fuzz or something and mount it on your wall. A big muff uses a lot of caps, so maybe one of those.

Quote from: Muadzin on May 09, 2017, 05:49:28 AM
Are the old electros still good? I always thought that electros degraded over time.

They do, but there might be places where they're still useful. Don't put them anywhere that leakage is a problem, like no power supplies, and not as input and output. Bypass caps -- probably okay.

bassybeats

Hilariously, that is the 'handful' i kept. There was about 5 times this much. Historical accuracy isn't a deal breaker for me. These just came with a bunch of other things I got a while ago. Kept them to use in projects instead of buying more parts.

Thanks @midwayfair for the advice on where NOT to use them. I've mainly used them in fuzzes, wah's and replacing parts in old Marshall's, Fenders, Jansens where it was the original part since I had it. Big Muff is good, don't have one anymore.

Would love to do an all axial component build with some of these just cause it would look cool.

lego4040

If you have a ESR meter to test those caps, I'd stick to the simple builds. Those are some big components there, fuzzes, wah's, big eq's. Hell, you can make a pretty penny too if you sold some

stringsthings

Those are some pretty caps!  I second the BMP idea.
Use them for the mojo! :)
All You Need Is Love

culturejam

Quote from: bassybeats on May 09, 2017, 03:52:29 AM
Just wondering if anyone has any cool ideas that I could use any of this silly amount of NOS vintage caps for?

My suggestion is to build a couple over-the-top mojo fuzz boxes and a wah. Do a Fuzz Face, Tonebender, and maybe another that you can work out with the values you have.

Then put away maybe 10% of those ceramic tropical fish caps for future sale. The rest you should sell now to pixie dust sniffers and do something fun with the money.
Partner and Product Developer at Function f(x).
My Personal Site with Effects Projects

bassybeats

Does anyone have the layout the 'Big Motherf$#@king Pig' layout from the old turretboard.org site? It seems to be a full tagboard layout of the BMP. Keen to build it, but can't seem to find the layouts.

Would be the perfect build for these old parts.