News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Madbean's "kits" are all stolen from Freestomboxes

Started by culturejam, January 14, 2017, 09:48:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

culturejam

Quote from: nocentelli on January 15, 2017, 06:57:41 AM
5. There is some bad blood between [Brian and culturejam] and modman relating to an offer to trace a very expensive pedal purchased by the "FSB tracers fund" contributed to by ordinary FSB members.

Couple things here.

There *was* bad blood.

Second, the drama that culminated with the Echo Czar trace started well before. The party was already getting a weird vibe, but that event was the proverbial "turd in the punch bowl" that really soured the whole thing. Modman already didn't trust me anymore because I used my mod powers to edit a certain user's posts to protect him from a threatened lawsuit. Modman saw that as a betrayal of "truth and justice" or whatever load of idealogical bullshit he was high on at the time. I was just trying to look out for a guy who almost lost his job over posting a schematic of a friggin pedal. (long story, and no, I won't go into it).

Quote from: nocentelliHe even claimed that if he ever set up a pedal company, he would provide a schematic inside each pedal. Now he has set up a commercial company, it seems that this might not be the case.

As Brian said, it's not just up to me. If it were, there would be a printed schematic in each box shipped out. We took a vote, and as a group we voted not to release the schematic. Can't win 'em all. :)

And as Brian also said, I would be totally fine if somebody bought one and traced it. In fact, I'm a little hurt it hasn't happened yet. I even went as far as posting a gut shot on FSB (using an alt account) to try to get the ball rolling. We made no attempts to hide any parts or remove any markings from any parts. It's all right there in the box with no trickery.

Quote from: nocentelliI also want people to realise that it is by far the greatest resource for information about what is inside effects on the web, and this exists ONLY because there is literally zero commercial intent to it.

That is definitely true. However, the ethics and morals of one man's little kingdom (web site) doesn't automatically get applied to everyone else. FSB is and should be non-commercialized, but that doesn't mean every other website in the world must follow the same ascetic philosophy.

If you don't want information used in ways you don't approve, don't post it on the internet.

Why people can't understand this, I'll never fathom
Partner and Product Developer at Function f(x).
My Personal Site with Effects Projects

pickdropper

I don't know what you guys are talking about, I love my madbean kits.  It's so much easier than just buying the raw boards.   ;D

Function f(x)
Follow me on Instagram as pickdropper

madbean

Oh yeah, and the Third Rail has part of the circuit schematic on the outside of the box! We made it easy 😁

alanp

Quote from: culturejam on January 15, 2017, 12:09:37 PM
If you don't want information used in ways you don't approve, don't post it on the internet.

Why people can't understand this, I'll never fathom

This extends to so, so many things. I've seen one guideline somewhere else, to NEVER post pictures of your kids on the net.

When the fifteen year olds of today are thirty or forty, they are going to have boundless reams of dickpix and nude selfies that will never be deletable. At least with us, the only record are in our mate's memories.
"A man is not dead while his name is still spoken."
- Terry Pratchett
My OSHpark shared projects
My website

gordo

Thanks to everyone for posting opinions.  The bulk of this is before my time (even though I've been around forever).  I appreciate the insights though and although it really doesn't change my stance, it does give me insight into how this started.  nocentelli, it takes some stones to provide a down the middle perspective and I think it's worth acknowledging the verbage.  I'm a fan all around of folks that have more knowledge than myself, which is about 80% of this crowd.  I generally shy away from political diatribe.
Gordy Power
How loud is too loud?  What?

peterc

I just wanted to clear up POTLs issue with logging on here! Kinda got carried away I guess.

Seemed like Modman was confusing Madbean with another company?

Affiliation: bizzaraudio.com

jtaormina

Can I just say that the color scheme of this forum is easier on the eyes. The black with white letting is much easier to read. That's one of the many reasons I like this site. I have old shitty eyes.

Muadzin

I have to admit, I quite like the rowdy rough vibe of FSB. It reminds me of another forum that I frequented for years. Unfortunately it has ruined me for life as it made me woefully ill prepared for nice forums such as this. 

nzCdog

Random dog picture... and...

Quote from: jimilee on January 15, 2017, 05:54:39 AM
With so much negativity in this world, why is it necessary to create more? I like this forum because we are the opposite of that, and we police ourselves really well.

+1

atreidesheir

I used to love it there, but the pirate ship was too small for the scalawags in the crew.  The plankowners drifted to the four winds and the captains were cantankerous.  Some people just do not know how to handle the booty.  argh
Technically we are all half-centaur. - Nick Offerman

Leevibe

There are so many heart rending problems in this world with so many worthy causes to take up. Making schematics available is not a cause. It's just a thing.

I frequent this forum because it's a fun, inviting, educational place to be. I think it stays this way because it's not a fun and inviting place for people who take themselves too seriously. I do believe that that ethos trickles down from Brian. I don't care what happened over at FSB. I think we kind of have a feel for who Brian is (and CJ for that matter) by way of the atmosphere here on his forum. 

matmosphere

Quote from: Leevibe on January 21, 2017, 02:45:34 PM
There are so many heart rending problems in this world with so many worthy causes to take up. Making schematics available is not a cause. It's just a thing.

Wait you mean making the schematics for antiquated analog tech isn't one of the most pressing issues we face as a civilization!?

Thanks leevibe you said that very eloquently.

madbean

Quote from: Leevibe on January 21, 2017, 02:45:34 PM

I frequent this forum because it's a fun, inviting, educational place to be. I think it stays this way because it's not a fun and inviting place for people who take themselves too seriously. I do believe that that ethos trickles down from Brian. I don't care what happened over at FSB. I think we kind of have a feel for who Brian is (and CJ for that matter) by way of the atmosphere here on his forum.

This is how I feel about it.

stringsthings

All You Need Is Love

atreidesheir

No, Forrest, these men are nihilists. There's nothing to be afraid of.
Technically we are all half-centaur. - Nick Offerman