News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Papilio inkjet waterslide decal paper - Warning

Started by AntKnee, January 18, 2017, 07:12:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

AntKnee

Just found out something important about this stuff. It has a shelf life of about a year. I bought a 100 sheet pack a couple years ago because I was ordering the small packs so often. Now half of it is going in the trash because it won't absorb ink any more. That stuff is not cheap! I called them to ask about it and they said "Yeah, it has a shelf life of about a year before it won't absorb ink or won't separate from the backing." Don't make the same mistake I did!

Update:
After talking with their engineer, and then testing with a different printer, the conclusion is that HP has changed the ink for my printer model. The paper is fine. He also informed me that unless the paper is exposed to high humidity, it should be fine. (More details in the thread below.)
I build, and once in a while I might sell, pedals as "Vertigo Effects".

flanagan0718

Am i correct to assume this is for an "Ink-jet" printer? I have a couple for a laser printer, I hope they are still ok.

AntKnee

flanagan0718

Justus

Yeah, but when they're talking about having problems separating from the backing, that doesn't seem ink-jet specific.  I have a batch of laser paper too that I haven't used in over a year (was having problems with the rollers being too hot and screwing up the prints anyway).  I bet I'm in the same boat.

AntKnee

Yeah, that may be the case. I asked specifically about inkjet paper, but the same could apply to any waterslide paper or any brand, for that matter. I spent almost $150 on a pack of 100 sheets, and threw about half of it away. At over a buck a page, that hurts!

Muadzin

So the moral of the story.... unless you're building large commercial batches order small batches instead?

Stomptown

Quote from: flanagan0718 on January 18, 2017, 07:43:00 AM
Am i correct to assume this is for an "Ink-jet" printer? I have a couple for a laser printer, I hope they are still ok.

I'm just used a 3 year old piece of laser and it worked fine.

flanagan0718

Quote from: Stomptown on January 19, 2017, 05:20:16 PM
Quote from: flanagan0718 on January 18, 2017, 07:43:00 AM

I'm just used a 3 year old piece of laser and it worked fine.

Cool! Good to know. Thanks man.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

matmosphere

I'm guessing how it's stored has a large impact on shelf life.

AntKnee

They did mention if you keep it in a sealed bag, it might last longer. I kept mine in the factory packaging, though not in an airtight seal. It went bad after about 18 months.

Stomptown

Quote from: Matmosphere on January 19, 2017, 05:29:30 PM
I'm guessing how it's stored has a large impact on shelf life.

Mine was actually stored in a box in the garage, which ranges from 5 to 105 degrees Fahrenheit throughout the year. It was stored inside large zip lock though and I'm sure that helped.  I was actually shocked it worked!

AntKnee

I think it probably affects inkjet paper more. The problem I had was it would no longer absorb ink. I'm glad yours still works.

PhiloB

I bought a small pack off Amazon and had to throw it away because of the quality of the final print/application.  Now I'm wondering if this had something to do with it.  I've used other paper with great results or otherwise would suspect my procedure;)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

AntKnee

Here's an update...

First, let me explain that I had been printing with great results. Without explanation, my prints were no longer coming out right. The paper seemed to be unable to absorb the ink and it would sit on top of the paper and bleed together and take a very long time to dry. After explaining that to Papilio, they told me about the one year shelf life, which was my reason for starting this post.

After I found that out, I bought a new pack and still had the same problem. I called them and spoke to what sounded like one of their chemists, or engineers, or whatever they are that formulate adhesives and paper absorbance. He was very smart and very technical and spoke in detail about different ink formulations of different brands and how various printers lay down ink and how to make the decals absorb the ink. It is his belief that the paper is fine, regardless of age. He said the only thing that would affect the paper is humidity or bending/rolling the paper. He had never had my problem happen before and theorized that HP may have changed their ink. My printer is an all in one type, and the ink nozzles and reservoir are all one removable piece that is removed when the ink cartridge is replaced. Because of that, HP could change the ink type to a different base for performance or quality issues and not tell anyone. They cant do that with most printers because the ink and nozzles are separate and changing ink formulas would require changing the nozzles also. So, he asked me to send him some of my failed prints so he can examine them to determine what happened. He was very interested in the situation and informed me that he was working on a new decal paper made for the newer ink types coming out, which have a different base and don't absorb into the decal paper the same way they absorb into typical photo paper. He is going to send me a sample of his new decal paper to try. As far as my existing stock of decal paper, he said to buy a bottom of the line, cheap HP deskjet and it should print perfectly. I ordered one and it should arrive the 25th. It is actually cheaper for me to buy a $30 printer than for me to throw away all my decal paper, so it made sense to me to give it a try.

So, the problem appears to be something related to the ink cartridges for my model of printer, and maybe other officejet all in one printers. I will update once I test it.